Don’t you love good old fashioned comfort food? I know that I do and that’s why I love this buttermilk and honey banana bread recipe. Banana bread is a regular staple in our household. I feel like I make a loaf every few weeks or so. My kids love banana bread and so does my husband.
I love to try new recipes and see if there’s any way to make banana bread any more delicious. Who doesn’t love the way your house smells while baking a delicious loaf of banana bread? It’s magical. The combination of bananas, honey, and buttermilk is a fantastic one! So, if you have some very ripe bananas grab them and make this banana bread.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
- All purpose flour
- White sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Banana extract (optional)
- Baking soda
- Pecans or walnuts (optional)
Don’t have any buttermilk?
Don’t have any buttermilk? Don’t worry! You can easily make buttermilk. To make one cup of buttermilk, simply add one cup of room temperature milk to two tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice.
What type of pan should I use for this recipe?
For this recipe, you’ll need one loaf pan.
Can I use frozen bananas?
I love using frozen bananas when making banana bread. You can absolutely use frozen bananas if you have some on hand. I love throwing some ripe bananas in my freezer and getting them out later to make banana bread with.
Can I freeze this buttermilk and honey banana bread?
You can absolutely freeze this banana bread recipe. To best freeze this recipe, I suggest wrapping a loaf tightly in aluminum foil or in plastic wrap. This banana bread can be frozen for two to three months. When you’re ready to eat it, let it defrost and then slice it.
Buttermilk and Honey Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp banana extract optional
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix the mashed bananas, oil, and buttermilk together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla and banana extract.
- Mix in the eggs and then add the sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix the honey in with the other ingredients.
- Mix well with a hand mixer.
- Add the nuts and stir them in with a spoon if desired.
- Pour into your loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread.
If you liked this buttermilk and honey banana bread recipe, you might also like:
- Coconut Pudding Banana Bread
- Super Easy Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
- Butterscotch Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Molasses and Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Six Banana Bread
- Copycat Starbucks Banana Bread
- Chocolate Pudding Banana Bread
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. I love a good banana bread recipe! If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!