This whole wheat apple cake is one of my favorite recipes. It is amazing served warm right out of the oven.
Despite the whole wheat flour, the cake is still very moist. I love trying recipes with whole wheat flour to make them a little healthier. Don’t have any whole wheat flour on hand? Don’t worry, I also have another really tasty apple cake recipe that uses all purpose flour.
Another great thing about this whole wheat apple cake is that it can be made in just one bowl. It is truly a simple but delicious recipe.
I used golden apples but you can use red or golden apples. I’ve made this several times and it is just as good whichever you use. This is a great recipe to throw together if you have some extra apples to use up.
This is a great cake to serve with coffee when having guests over, for breakfast, or as a snack. It is sweet but not decadent.
Whole Wheat Apple Cake Recipe
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 3 golden or red apples peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts optional
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Next add the eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil.
- Mix well with a hand-mixer for about three minutes.
- Gently mix in the apple pieces.
- Add the nuts (if desired).
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
If you liked this whole wheat apple cake recipe, please share the love and pin it!