Crockpot coq au vin (meaning chicken in wine) is an amazing French recipe that you can easily make with chicken thighs. I’ve made this recipe for both my family and for guests and it’s been a hit each time. I love serving this crockpot coq au vin recipe over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes. This recipe also goes well with a nice crusty bread.
Coq au vin has a really fancy sounding name but it the recipe isn’t too hard. Plus, you can easily make this hearty french stew in your crockpot. I usually use a full bodied red wine when cooking this dish.
This recipe is traditionally made with chicken thighs which are great for the crockpot. I find that chicken breast or other cuts can tend to be dry after cooking in the crockpot but that isn’t the case when using chicken thighs. They really have a nice flavor in this recipe.
Crockpot Coq Au Vin
- 4 slices of bacon fried and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 chicken thighs
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms washed and dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the bacon, garlic, chicken thighs, and onion first.
- Then add the mushrooms, tomatoes, carrot, and wine.
- Next, add the salt and pepper, bay leaf, and chicken stock.
- Stir and then cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf prior to serving.
- Serve over buttered egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or roasted potatoes.
- A nice crusty bread also goes well with this meal.
If you liked this crockpot coq au vin recipe, you might also like:
- Copycat Carrabbas Beef Brasato
- Crockpot Savory Tomato Pot Roast
- Crockpot Chicken Chasseur
- The Big List of Crockpot Recipes
Need more ideas for your slow cooker? Join our Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipe group on Facebook for more slow cooker and crockpot inspiration.