This vegetarian crockpot coconut curry recipe is not only very filling for a vegetarian meal but it is also extremely flavorful. If you like a spicy curry, feel free to add more peppers to this mix or you can leave the pepper out all together if you prefer something more mild. The smoothness of the coconut really pairs well with the vegetables in this dish.
What curry powder goes best in this recipe?
I highly recommend using Madras curry powder, if you can find it. This specific curry powder will give you the ability to create more authentic Indian dishes at home. If you can’t find Madras curry powder, don’t worry you can still use what you have on hand.
What goes well with this coconut curry recipe?
Freshly toasted naan bread and basmati rice pair really nice with this curry.
How do I dissect a fresh coconut?
I was able to find fresh coconut pieces at my local Trader Joe’s store. The below YouTube video is super helpful if you want to open your own fresh coconut.
Is this recipe vegan?
This recipe can easily be made vegan by replacing the plain yogurt with a coconut based yogurt. As always, be sure to check all product labels.
Vegetarian crockpot coconut curry
- Crockpot (slow cooker)
- 1 cup fresh coconut desiccated pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 jalepeno or seranno pepper seeded If you like your curry spicy, feel free to add more. If you don't want any spice feel free to leave out.
- 2 small red potatoes
- 2 bananas mashed with a fork use green or just turned yellow bananas, do not use ripe bananas
- 1 bag frozen green beans 12 ounces
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt Substitute plain coconut yogurt to make this recipe vegan
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp curry powder I recommend using Madras curry powder if you can find it.
- Salt to taste
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray along with the two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Wash the potatoes and carrots and then cut them into small bite size pieces.
- Next, add the vegetables to your slow cooker a long with the mashed bananas.
- Mince the pepper (serrano or jalepeno) and add it a long with the remaining ingredients except for the frozen green beans and stir well.
- Cook on low for six to eight hours or high on four hours.
- During the last 30 to 45 minutes add the frozen green beans. Be careful not to add the green beans until the end or they will turn into mush.
- Serve with naan bread and/or basmati rice.
Need even more crockpot recipes?
Need more slow cooker recipes? Be sure to join our Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipe group on Facebook for even more recipes for your crockpot.
If you liked this vegetarian crockpot coconut curry recipe, you might also like:
- The BIG List of Crockpot Recipes
- Crockpot Pumpkin Chickpea Curry
- Vegetarian Tex-mex Enchiladas
- Vegetarian Southwest Quinoa Casserole
- Easy Chickpea Curry with Basmati Rice