I love to make this dewberry breakfast bake with freshly picked dewberries. Do you know what dewberries are? They are closely related to blackberries and grow in the southern US. We love to pick them when we visit the trails at our local state forest.
You’ll know a dewberry from a blackberry because dewberries tend to yield their fruit in April and May whereas blackberries will ripen later in the summer.
If you are going berry picking, be sure to wear gloves and watch for snakes and other critters. I love being able to take my kids berry picking, it’s a fond memory I had as a child. There’s something really rewarding about picking your own food from the wild.
We love visiting our local state forest and hiking the trails. Plus our local trails have a lot of dewberry bushes along the way.
Don’t have any dewberries? No, worries. This recipe is also fantastic with raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries.
All berries can be a little tart but this is especially true for dewberries and blackberries. I recommend sprinkling a little powdered sugar on top of them to combat some of the tartness.
This recipe also calls for buttermilk. But if you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, don’t worry! You can easily make your own buttermilk by adding two tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup of room temperature milk.
I think this recipe is fantastic with whole wheat flour but I’ve also made it with white flour and it’s also really good.
Dewberry Buttermilk Breakfast Bake
- 1 1/2 cups dewberries (may also substitute raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (may substitute all purpose flour)
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- the zest of one medium orange
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 (F) degrees.
- Rinse your berries and then sprinkle them with two tablespoons of powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar then mix.
- Slowly add in the zest, orange juice, vanilla, egg, and buttermilk.
- Stir in the softened butter and honey.
- Using a hand mixer, mix until no longer lumpy.
- Using a spatula gently mix in about half of the berries.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Add the reamining berries on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
- Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Impossibly Easy Apple Pie
- Peach Pie Coffee Cake
- Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
I hope you enjoyed this dewberry breakfast bake recipe. I love a good breakfast recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this dewberry breakfast bake recipe, please share the love and pin it!