I must admit that this baked sweet potatoes with turkey meatballs recipe does sound rather strange. I mean, I like sweet potatoes and I like meatballs, but together? What? I first tried the recipe on a whim while I was in Sheffield, England. There was a healthy food eatery and I was starving so I just picked something and I’m so glad I did! This recipe has been an easy go-to meal ever since. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or it’s great to prep for lunches.
Meatballs are definitely a freezer friendly staple in my house. I would serve this with a light green salad and it’s great for a make ahead lunch or a light dinner. This recipe also reheats really well so I love eating this meal for a quick lunch.
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Turkey Meatballs
- 4 Sweet Potatoes (Medium sized)
- 1 Jar Tomato Sauce
For the turkey meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees and then wash and scrub your sweet potatoes. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and then poke your sweet potatoes a few times with a fork. Begin baking the sweet potatoes for a total time of 45 minutes or until tender.
- While the sweet potatoes begin to bake, retrieve all necessary items for the meatballs. Begin by adding all the ingredients to a large bowl and then combine them together well. Form the mixture into approximately 1.5” sized balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
- Once both the sweet potatoes and meatballs are finished cooking warm the rest of the tomato sauce. Place the meatballs and tomato sauce on top and enjoy.
- Store the meatballs and tomato sauce together if you have leftovers to prevent the meatballs from drying out when reheating.
If you need even more recipes or cooking inspiration, be sure to check out the Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!