Have you ever had a Chic Fil A cookie before? They’re these absolutely amazing chocolate chip cookies with just the right amount of oatmeal. They’re always warm and go amazing with their lemonade. These copycat Chic Fil A cookies are AMAZING. They’re the perfect cookie treat.
It has taken me several times to get this recipe down. The first time I tried to make these they were not good at all, my husband didn’t even humor me, but that’s life when you blog about recipes, sometimes you just have some epic fails. I really wanted to make these cookies for Christmas last year. I just thought they were such a good cookie and they would go perfectly in a little treat box for my neighbors. I tried again and they were good but nothing like the Chic Fil A cookies and they just weren’t amazing which is what I was going for.
The next time I made these they were a lot closer and finally I figured out what makes the difference. First of all, when making these cookies you want to let your butter set out at room temperature or just very slightly melt it. If you melt your butter the cookies will come out very differently! Not melting the butter in this recipe keeps them more cake like which is what the original Chic Fil A cookies are like. Melting the butter makes these cookies flat, they’re still delicious but not the same texture at all.
I’m not a huge fan of cooking with shortening but I’ve been unable to get these copycat Chic Fil A to taste like the original without it. I also needed to use a lot more oats than I thought. I feel like their cookies have a nice balance of oats but I had to add a lot more than I thought I would. I do not think they’re overly “oaty” and found that quick oats work best in this recipe.
What ingredients are needed to make these cookies?
For these copycat Chic Fil A chocolate chip cookies, you will need:
- All purpose flour
- Instant oats
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Vanilla extract
- Light brown sugar
- White sugar
- Milk chocolate chips
How to make these cookies
To make these cookies begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Next, combine your dry ingredients (flour, oats, brown sugar, white sugar, sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda). Add the shortening, eggs, butter, honey, molasses, and vanilla. Mix well with a hand mixer for about three minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips with a large spoon. Drop two heaping tablespoon of dough per cookie onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Edges should be slightly browned and golden.
Copycat Chic fil a Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature (do not melt)
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, combine your dry ingredients (flour, oats, brown sugar, white sugar, sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda).
- Add the shortening, eggs, butter, honey, molasses, and vanilla.
- Mix well with a hand mixer for about three minutes.
- Stir in the chocolate chips with a large spoon.
- Drop about two tablespoon of cookie dough per cookie onto greased cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Edges should be slightly browned and golden.
I hope you enjoyed this copycat recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook for even more cooking and recipe inspiration.
If you liked this copycat Chic Fil A cookies recipe, you might also like:
- Copycat Great American Cookies Sugar Cookies
- Copycat Great American Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Copycat Starbucks Banana Bread
- Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Super Easy Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Cookie Butter Rice Crispy Treats