This summer kale salad is a great addition to any backyard barbecue. It also goes great with grilled chicken, tuna, or it can also be served as a side dish. Kale is such a fabulous super food and is delightful in this salad.
I first went on a mission to recreate this salad after visiting Vermont with my husband. If you haven’t been to Vermont before it is absolutely beautiful and there is a ton of great food. We ate a similar salad at the Woodstock Farmer’s Market and I was hooked. I tried recreating a few times before I got it right. It really is super simple but so delicious.
This salad is a great summer salad and it is also a fun salad to bring to a potluck since the kale doesn’t tend to get as wilted as lettuce. The bell peppers also have a nice crunch.
When making this salad be sure to use a 3/4 cup of cooked quinoa which is about 1/4 cup uncooked and 1/2 cup of water.
Summer Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale washed and cleaned
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup quionoa
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
For the dressing
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- lemon juice fresh squeezed is best
- Cook the quinoa as directed on the packaging and let it cool.
- Remove the kale stems and chop your kale into bite size pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cooled quinoa and mix well before adding the dressing. Let the dressing soak for at least 20 minutes before serving.
For the dressing
- For the dressing, combine equal parts extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice, shake well and set aside.
If you liked this kale salad recipe, you might also like:
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. I love a good salad recipe! If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!