I’ve been on a mission, a banana bread mission. So far, I’ve made a super easy yellow cake mix banana bread, banana flax seed muffins, and a buttermilk and honey banana bread. This recipe is a little different since it is a whole wheat six banana bread meaning six bananas are baked into one loaf!
You can never really have too many recipes for bananas. Maybe it’s just me but it feels like one week all of the bananas are gone within a day or two and then the next time I buy bananas they go untouched. That’s OK though because when there’s extra bananas you can always make banana bread.
Yes, you read that correctly, six bananas. This is a great recipe for when you have an entire bunch of bananas that are going bad.
Why whole wheat?
Whole wheat actually pairs quite nicely with banana. Plus, whole wheat adds more nutrients and fiber than just regular all purpose flour. Whole wheat flour will also help to keep you full for longer.
Whole Wheat Six Banana Bread
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6 ripe medium bananas if they are larger bananas you may need less
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts optional
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. You may need to use a greased muffin pan to use the extra batter or disregard the extra batter.
- In an microwave safe bowl, soften your butter. Set aside to cool.
- Peel and mash your bananas with a fork.
- In a large mixing bowl add the whole wheat flour, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the bananas.
- Add the vanilla extract, baking powder and baking soda.
- Slowly mix in the eggs and sour cream and then mix in the butter.
- Mix well with a hand mixer for about two to three minutes.
- If desired add the pecans or walnuts and stir in with a large spoon.
- Carefully pour into a loaf pan. There will be a lot of batter so be careful. Do not overfill your loaf pan. You can make an extra muffin or two if you don't want to waste it.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle. Note that different ovens and altitudes may influence the baking time.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this whole wheat six banana bread recipe, you might also like:
- Easy Whole Wheat Apple Cake
- Buttermilk and Honey Banana Bread
- Banana Flax Seed Chia Muffins
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread