Carrabba’s beef brasato is an amazing Italian stew recipe made with a full bodied red wine. I actually love to use my crockpot for this Carrabba’s Copycat beef brasato recipe it makes it so much easier. Simmering this Italian stew all day also makes your home smell absolutely amazing.
This Carrabba’s beef brasato is such an amazing dish. It is so nice to have a restaurant style meal at home sometimes. This dish is great for a date night in, Valentine’s Day, or as a meal to impress dinner guests.
Does Carrabbas still serve beef brasato?
I love Carrabbas and when I was younger I used to live in walking distance of one. I would meet my friends for happy hour there frequently so I know their menu pretty well. Their beef brasato was a limited time menu special but it was one of my absolute favorite dishes at their restaurant. They no longer regularly serve it but it does come back as a special time to time.
What does brasato mean?
Brasato means braised in Italian. Braising means that food is typically seared first at a high temperature and then finished in a covered pot at a low temperature and then cooked slowly, usually with some liquid.
What side dishes go well with beef brasato?
I usually serve this delicious dish over Parmesan orzo with a loaf of copycat Carrabbas Italian country bread and olive oil dipping sauce. A nice green salad, mashed potatoes, rigatoni, or other pasta also go really well with beef brasato.
What ingredients do I need for this recipe?
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Beef rump roast
- Full bodied red wine
- White onion
- Olive oil
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Bay leaf
- Italian seasoning
- Dried rosemary
- Dried basil
- Chicken broth or stock
- Don’t skip searing your roast. It is part of what makes beef brasato such a special dish.
- I prefer to use my crockpot after searing the roast but you can also use a large Dutch oven and your stovetop. You’ll want to cook this roast slow and low for about six hours.
- Serve your roast with lots of the wine and tomato sauce on top.
Carrabba’s Copycat Beef Brasato
- Crockpot (6 quart or larger)
- 1 small beef rump roast
- 1 cup full bodied red wine Such as cabernet sauvignon
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot sliced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 cu chicken broth
- Trim any excess fat from the rump roast and then rub with salt and pepper
- Using a large skillet and about two tablespoons of olive oil, sear your roast on both sides on high heat.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the diced onions and carrots to your slow cooker.
- Add the rump roast in with the onions then add red wine, chicken broth, bay leaf, and spices.
- Cook on low in your slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the rump roast from the stew and slice before serving.
- Discard the bay leaf and serve with over Parmesan orzo, rigatoni or garlic mashed potatoes.