This Amish apple cake recipe is perfectly baked in a 9 x 13 pan. It is lightly sweet and is fantastic as a snack or with a cup of coffee or tea.
This delicious and easy Amish apple cake recipe is made with fresh apples in a 9 x 13 inch pan. This cake isn’t overly sweet and is light enough to be paired with a nice cup of coffee or tea. It is also the perfect cake for fall or winter months.
Another great thing about this apple cake recipe is that it doesn’t need any frosting. It isn’t an overly complicated recipe and is pretty simple to throw together. This recipe is also a great way to use up any extra apples you have on hand before they go bad. This cake is also very moist, packed with delicious apples, and is even more amazing when served warm. I love to make this easy apple cake but I have to admit, it never lasts long at my house! It’s always gone by the next day.
What ingredients are needed for this recipe?
This recipe is very simple. To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- All purpose flour: The base of the cake batter.
- White sugar and brown sugar: To sweeten the cake.
- Baking soda: To help the cake rise.
- Eggs: You’ll need three large eggs for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: I recommend using pure vanilla extract, if possible.
- Apples: I used three medium apples.
- Vegetable oil: This helps the cake stay very moist.
- Water: You’ll need a little bit of water for this recipe.
- Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional): You can add nuts to this cake, if desired.
What kind of apples should I use in this recipe?
For this recipe you’ll want to use red apples. I’ve used a variety of red apples and any kind will do. I usually prefer to use gala or red delicious apples. You can also use golden apples in this recipe.
What kind of pan is needed for this recipe?
For this recipe you’ll need a 9” x 13” pan.
Tips for making this cake
- Choose medium sized red apples (you may need to add an extra apple or two if using very small apples).
- Be sure to peel your apples or they’ll have an unpleasant texture in the cake.
- Bake until completely golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Use a spatula to gently pat the batter into the 9 x 13 inch dish so the cake will bake evenly.
- Mix the dry ingredients before adding the wet ingredients (this will prevent anyone from having a big bite of unmixed baking soda).
- Try adding a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top when serving.
How to make this apple cake
This is a simple recipe and there’s no fancy techniques needed to bake this apple cake. Really, the hardest part is peeling and chopping the apples. You’ll want your apples to be about ½ inch or so.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Combine the dry ingredients and then mix well with a large spoon.
Next, add eggs, oil, vanilla, and water. Mix well with a hand mixer then add the apples in. Stir in nuts, if desired.
Use a spatula to evenly distribute the batter into the 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle. The cake should be golden brown.
Other Amish recipes:
- Amish Pound Cake
- Amish Banana Bread
- Amish Zucchini Bread
- Amish Pumpkin Bread
- Amish Chocolate Chip Cookies
Amish Apple Cake Recipe
- 9 x 13 pan greased
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 3 medium apples peeled and chopped into small pieces, about 3 cups of chopped apples
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients and then mix well with a large spoon.
- Next, add eggs, oil, vanilla, and water. Mix well with a hand mixer then add the apples in.
- Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Use a spatula to evenly distribute the batter into the 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.