If you love the sassy scotty from Chicken Salad Chick then you have to try this copycat recipe. This Sassy Scotty chicken salad recipe goes great on toast, with crackers, or on a bed of lettuce.
I have really been into Chicken Salad Chick recipes lately. I love that they have so many different kinds of chicken salad. I have made a lot of delicious chicken salad recipes lately including Lauryn’s lemon basil, the cranberry Kelli, and even some side items like their pimento cheese. I am also working on their broccoli salad recipe. My friend Lyndsy asked me make the Sassy Scotty Chicken Salad Chick recipe and I finally got to it! This recipe is such a fun twist on the typical chicken salad. The ranch dressing and bacon are a really fun twist on traditional chicken salad.
My Chicken Salad Chick recipes tend to be a little bit different from other copycats out there. For this Sassy Scotty recipe, I highly recommend using Duke’s mayonnaise, chicken tenderloins, and grating your own cheddar cheese. You can also use leftover chicken but I think chicken tenders make it more like the original recipe. I think a zesty ranch works best too.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Chicken tenderloins: I have seen other Chicken Salad Chick copycat recipes use rotisserie chicken or chicken breast (which you can substitute if needed) but I recommend using chicken tenderloins to give you the closest taste to the original.
- Water: To boil the chicken in.
- Celery: You’ll need one large rib of celery, finely diced.
- Mayonnaise: I used Duke’s and highly recommend it for the closest taste to Chicken Salad Chick. I have made this with a light mayonnaise and it is just not the same.
- Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper: To season the chicken salad with.
- Ranch salad dressing: You can make your own or use your favorite bottled ranch. I just grabbed a small one from the deli of the grocery store since I don’t like bottled ranch and just needed a little for this recipe.
- Cheese: You will need half of a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I recommend grating it yourself. Fresh ingredients always make such a difference.
- Bacon bits: You can also fry up your own strips of bacon, if desired. The restaurant by me uses bacon bits or either their way of making bacon leaves me thinking they are bacon bits.
- Green onion: You’ll need just a few green onion pieces.
You will need a mixer or food processor to shred the chicken. Alternatively, you can use two forks but I think it is best to do it mechanically so you get small pieces just like you’d get at Chicken Salad Chick, You will need a food processor for the celery or you can dice it finely with a knife.
How to make
Begin by adding water to a large pot. Add the chicken tenderloins into the water. Bring the water to a boil.
Once the water has come to boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook or the chicken can become rubbery. The chicken should register at 165 degrees with a meat thermometer. There should be no pink when you go to shred it.
Once the chicken is done, remove it from the water and let it cool. Use two forks or use a stand or hand mixer to shred the chicken in a large bowl. I find that using a mixer is fast and it will help the chicken become very fine just like at Chicken Salad Chick.
Next, use your food processor to dice your celery into fine pieces.
Add the mayonnaise, ranch, and seasonings to the shredded chicken. Stir well.
Stir in the celery, cheddar, bacon bits, and green onions.
Serve with bread, crackers, or on a salad.
How to serve
Serve with crackers, as a sandwich, or with a fresh green salad.
- You can substitute one pound of pulled rotisserie chicken, if desired but I think the chicken tenderloins will give you the closest taste to the original.
- Use Duke’s mayonnaise, if possible. I have tried this recipe with light mayonnaise and it isn’t the same as the original (although it is less calories).
How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers in your fridge in an airtight container. This chicken salad will be good for 3-4 days after making.
Other Chicken Salad Chick recipes:
- Copycat Chicken Salad Chick Lauryn’s Lemon Basil
- Copycat Chicken Salad Chick Pimento Cheese
- Copycat Chicken Salad Chick Dixie Chick
- Copycat Chicken Salad Chick Cranberry Kelli
- Copycat Chicken Salad Chick Jalapeno Holly
Copycat Chicken Salad Chick Sassy Scotty
- food processor
- Hand mixer
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins this yields about 2 cups of shredded chicken if subbing rotisserie chicken
- 1 large rib of celery finely diced
- ¾ cup mayonnaise I recommend Duke's for the closest taste to the original
- 3 tablespoons ranch use your favorite bottled ranch
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- ½ cup bacon bits
- ½ cup shredded cheddar I recommend grating it yourself
- Begin by adding water to a large pot. Add the chicken tenderloins into the water. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water has come to boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook or the chicken can become rubbery. The chicken should register at 165 degrees with a meat thermometer. You will also be able to tell it is done when you shred it.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the water and let it cool. Use two forks or use a stand or hand mixer to shred the chicken in a large bowl. I find that using a mixer is best because it is quicker and it helps get the chicken very fine.
- Next, use your food processor to dice your celery into fine pieces.
- Add the mayonnaise, ranch, and seasonings to the shredded chicken. Stir well.
- Stir in the celery, cheddar, bacon bits, and green onions.
- Serve with bread, crackers, or on a salad.
Leave a Reply