If you love the sweet and delicious buttermilk pie from Cracker Barrel then you’ll love this copycat version! Make your favorite restaurant dessert at home.
I’m a huge fan of buttermilk pie, especially the one at Cracker Barrel. It is sweet custard like pie with a little bit of tang to it. It is great as is or you can also add strawberries and whipped cream on top. I don’t always see it on the menu, so it is a great copycat recipe to make at home.
Buttermilk pie is a southern staple and can easily be made with a pre-made pie crust and common pantry ingredients. This copycat recipe is actually pretty quick to put together at home, although do allow for plenty of time for it to bake and then cool completely.
To make this pie, you will need:
- Pre-made pie crust: To keep this recipe easy, I recommend using a pre-made 9 inch pie crust. You can usually find these in the refrigerated section at most grocery stores.
- Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter to control the salt that goes into the pie.
- Eggs: You’ll need three large eggs for this recipe.
- Sugar: To sweeten the pie with.
- Flour: To firm the pie up a little.
- Buttermilk: The base of the pie. I recommend buying buttermilk and not making your own for this recipe.
- Lemon juice: You can use bottled or fresh.
- Vanilla extract: If you can, I recommend using pure vanilla extract.
- Nutmeg and cinnamon: To give the pie a little spice.
- Salt: You’ll need just a pinch of salt.
How to make
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Next, melt your butter and set it aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk them together.
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well with a hand mixer until smooth. Pour into the pie crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes or until the pie is firm.
How to store leftovers
Cover leftovers with storage wrap and store in your fridge. The pie will be good for up to five days after making it.
- Let your pie crust sit out and get close to room temperature. This will help it unroll easier.
- I recommend using real buttermilk instead of making your own for the closest copycat.
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream, if desired. My family and I like the pie as it is.
Other copycat recipes:
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Carrots
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Sweet Potatoes
- Copycat McAlister’s Sweet Tea
- Copycat Golden Corral Banana Pudding
Copycat Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Pie
- Pie pan
- 1 pre-made pie crust 9 inch (unbaked)
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Next, melt your butter and set it aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk them together.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well with a hand mixer until smooth. Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes or until the pie is firm.
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to share it or save it for later with Pinterest!