This copycat McAlister’s tortilla soup is so easy to make at home. It can be made in just 30 minutes! It is a delicious and comforting soup that is loaded with flavor.
I love McAlister’s Deli but I was so sad when the one close to our house closed down. I recently made a copycat recipe for their amazing sweet tea and now I’ve recreated their delicious tortilla soup.
My family loved this McAlister’s copycat tortilla soup. It was a huge hit and it was super easy to make. I was able to make this recipe in about 30 minutes which in my book is pretty awesome.
If you’re a McAlister’s fan, let me know in the comments below what other copycat recipes you’d like to see!
What ingredients do I need to make this tortilla soup?
To make this copycat tortilla soup, you will need:
- Unsalted Butter
- Yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Cream of chicken
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Canned creamed corn
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Half and half
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (for topping)
- Tortilla strips (for topping)
- Cilantro (for topping)
- Salt and pepper
What toppings should I use?
McAlister’s tops their tortilla soup with cilantro and shredded cheese. I also added tortilla strips, fresh avocado, and a little sour cream to my version.
How to store this soup
You can store this tortilla soup in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.
Tips for making this soup
- I recommend salting this recipe to taste since the salt content of broth, rotisserie chicken, and beans can vary.
- Try topping your tortilla soup with fresh avocado, pico de gallo, and tortilla strips.
- Try adding a bit of fresh squeezed lime to your soup.
How do I make this copycat tortilla soup?
To make this copycat McAlister’s tortilla soup, first gather and then measure out your ingredients. You will need:
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carton of chicken broth or stock (about 32 ounces)
- 1 can of cream of chicken (about 10.5 ounces)
- 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can of creamed corn (about 14.75 ounces)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (about 14.5 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter on low and then add the garlic and onion. Move the heat to medium and saute until the onions begin to brown. Reduce the heat and then add the remaining ingredients except for the half and half. Stir well. Let simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce the heat and stir in the half and half. Top with shredded cheese and other desired toppings such as sour cream, fresh avocado, tortilla strips, fresh lime juice, and pico de gallo.
Other copycat recipes:
Copycat McAlister’s Tortilla Soup
- Large pot or dutch oven
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 carton chicken broth or stock about 32 ounces
- 1 can cream of chicken about 10.5 ounces
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 can creamed corn about 14.75 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes about 14.5 ounces
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
For topping (optional)
- shredded Monterey Jack
- sliced avocado
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter on low and then add the garlic and onion.
- Move the heat to medium and saute until the onions begin to brown.
- Reduce the heat and then add the remaining ingredients except for the half and half. Stir well.
- Let simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce the heat and stir in the half and half.
- Top with shredded cheese and other desired toppings such as sour cream, fresh avocado, tortilla strips, fresh lime juice, and pico de gallo.