This crockpot Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole is a fun twist on the traditional copycat recipe. This recipe is so easy to make in your crockpot or slow cooker!
My family and I really love the food at Cracker Barrel but we can’t always swing going out to eat with our budget. I’m a huge fan of making copycat recipes at home.
This crockpot version of copycat Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole is great for potlucks, parties, brunches, and more! It is also a kid approved and family friendly recipe.
Why use the crockpot for this recipe?
To free up some oven space for the holidays, set it and forget, or make it for a potluck are all great reasons to make this casserole in your crockpot or slow cooker.
Or maybe you’re like me and your oven went out and you’re waiting for your new oven to get installed! I’m working on crockpot and instant pot recipes until it gets in.
For this casserole, you will need:
- Frozen hash browns: The base of the casserole. You’ll need about 32 ounces of hash browns.
- Butter: I used unsalted so I could control how salty the casserole is. If you are using salted butter you may want to leave out salt or use it sparingly.
- Canned cream of chicken soup: You’ll need one can (about 10 ½ ounces).
- Sour cream: I recommend using full fat sour cream for the best results.
- White onion: You’ll need one small white onion, finely chopped.
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese and mild cheddar cheese: To make the casserole cheesy and delicious.
- Salt and pepper: I recommend doing salt and pepper to taste.
How to make
Melt your butter and set it aside to cool. Spray your crockpot or slow cooker with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, cream of chicken, and butter. Gently fold in the mixture with the hash browns. Stir in the cheese (I like to set aside a few tablespoons of cheese to put on top).
Transfer to your slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese on top, if desired. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 hours.
How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge. Leftovers will be good for up to four days after making.
Other copycat recipes that you might like:
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Carrots (in the crockpot)
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Buttermilk Pie
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole
Crockpot Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- Crockpot or slow cooker (6 quart or larger)
- 32 ounces frozen hash browns
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 can cream of chicken soup about 10 ½ ounces
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 ½ cups Colby Jack cheese grated or shredded
- ½ cup mild cheddar cheese grated or shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt your butter and set it aside to cool.
- Spray your crockpot or slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, cream of chicken, and butter. Gently fold in the mixture with the hash browns and onions. Stir in the cheese (I like to set aside a few tablespoons of cheese to put on top).
- Transfer to your slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or on low for 4 hours.
If you enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to share it or save it with Pinterest!