This strawberry shortcake fruit salad with strawberry crunch topping is the perfect light and airy dessert. If you love strawberry crumble topping then you’ll love this easy fruit salad recipe.
We are very fortunate that we live really close to an awesome strawberry farm. Picking strawberries every spring is one of our favorite family outings. My kids always go a little wild with the strawberry picking and we end up with four or five pounds of strawberries each time.
One of my most popular recipes last year were these strawberry crunch covered strawberries. My kids loved them, my husband loved, and I loved them. I wanted to create another dessert with the delicious strawberry crunch topping. I also had a lot of strawberries to use up.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Angel food cake: Store bought, boxed, or homemade all work. I actually used one from my local grocery store to keep it easy.
- Fresh strawberries: You’ll need about two cups. If you’re in the US, a one pound container of strawberries is usually about two cups.
- Cool Whip: You can use an 8 ounce container of whipped topping or alternatively you can make your whipped cream.
- Golden Oreos, strawberry gelatin, French vanilla pudding, and freezer dried strawberries: For the strawberry crumble topping. Do not prepare the pudding or gelatin mix.
How to make this recipe
To make this recipe, begin by baking your angel food cake according to the directions on the package or your recipe and then letting it cool. Skip this step if using a pre-made cake.
Cut your cake into bite sized pieces.
Wash and dry your strawberries. Remove the stems and then quarter them. Set aside.
In a trifle dish or large bowl mix the strawberries, angel food cake, and whipped topping together. Top with strawberry crunch crumble (directions below).
How to make the strawberry crunch crumble
Add the golden Oreos and freeze dried strawberries to a food processor. Run them through until they are well crushed. Alternatively, if you do not have a food processor you can place the Oreos and freeze dried strawberries into a large plastic storage bag and then crush them with a mallet or by hand.
In a small bowl add the Oreo and freeze dried strawberry crumble. Add three tablespoons of French vanilla pudding mix and two tablespoons of strawberry gelatin mix. Stir well.
How to store this recipe
Store this recipe in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It will be good for about two days. After two days, the strawberry fruit salad starts to become mushy. I think this recipe is best freshly made.
Tips for this recipe
- If you’re in a hurry try buying an angel food cake from your local grocery store.
- Make sure you get regular golden Oreos and not lemon Oreos or double stuffed Oreos.
- Do not prepare the gelatin mix or the pudding mix, you will use the dry mix.
- If your strawberries aren’t quite ripe enough try sprinkling a little powdered sugar on them to sweeten them.
You might also like these other strawberry crunch recipes:
Strawberry Shortcake Fruit Salad
- Food processor (or a plastic storage bag to crush by hand)
- Hand mixer
For the fruit salad
- 1 Angel food cake cut into bite size pieces homemade, boxed, or pre-made from the grocery store all work.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces whipped topping such as Cool Whip
For the strawberry crumble topping
- 10 golden Oreos
- 2 tablespoons strawberry gelatin mix (such as Jello) do not prepare the mix
- 3 tablespoons French vanilla pudding mix do not prepare the mix
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried strawberries
- If using a boxed or homemade angel food cake recipe, begin by baking your angel food cake according to the directions on the package or recipe and then letting it cool. If using a pre-made angel food cake skip to the next step.
- Cut your cake into bite size pieces.
- Wash and dry your strawberries. Remove the stems and then quarter them. Set aside.
- In a trifle dish or large bowl mix the strawberries, angel food cake and whipped topping together with a large spoon. Top with strawberry crunch crumble (directions below).
For the strawberry crumble topping
- Add the golden Oreos and freeze dried strawberries to a food processor. Run them through until they are well crushed. Alternatively, if you do not have a food processor you can place the Oreos and freeze dried strawberries into a large plastic storage bag and then crush them with a rubber mallet or by hand.
- In a small bowl add the Oreo and freeze dried strawberry crumble. Add three tablespoons of French vanilla pudding mix and two tablespoons of strawberry gelatin mix. Stir well.
Love the trifle situation….so pretty….with these yummy ingredients.
Two Pink Peonies
Thank you so much, Debra!
Great tips! I never thought about getting the golden and lemon oroes mixed up. I love that you live close to a strawberry farm. That sounds so neat!
Two Pink Peonies
My husband (bless him) got the mixed up once lol so now, I always say double check since they’re both in a yellow bag!
Yum, this is simple, and love the Oreos you added to this dessert.
I’m always on the lookout for nice and easy desserts. This was so delicious! Will definitely be making it again.
I love all the layers in here! So beautiful!
Love this recipe, so good!
Easy and delicious. Oreo convinced my kids to have this too 😋
This is making me drool!
Such a delicious sweet treat – love this recipe.