Have you heard of strawberry crunch covered strawberries? They are SO good! I’m sure you’ve seen the strawberry crunch crumble topping for cheesecakes, cakes, or cupcakes, but these are slightly healthier since this recipe involves just strawberries and no cake. These strawberries are also a really fun Valentine’s Day, birthday, or Mother’s Day treat. They are also fantastic for topping cakes, cupcakes, or cheesecakes with.
We are so lucky because where I live, we have a local strawberry farm called Atkinson Strawberry Farm. On a recent visit, we picked a ton of strawberries! My kids had a blast picking strawberries and Atkinson has such delicious strawberries. My kids picked a ton of strawberries, way more than we needed. There’s just something about fresh veggies and fruit that you pick yourself that makes them taste better.
Since we had so many extra strawberries I was able to make quite a few strawberry crunch strawberries. Just when I thought my kids wouldn’t eat any more strawberries, they ate all of these. These strawberries remind me of the Good Humor strawberry shortcake popsicles which are so good. Other people may obsess over dreamsicles but give me a strawberry shortcake pop any day. I’ve also heard of these strawberries being called strawberry shortcake covered strawberries.
What ingredients are needed for this recipe?
To make these strawberry crunch covered strawberries, you will need:
- Strawberries: Red and in season berries are always best.
- Powdered sugar (optional): If you are making these for Valentine’s Day and your strawberries aren’t perfectly ripe try adding a little powdered sugar to sweeten them up.
- Mini Golden Oreos: If you can’t find mini golden Oreos try using about 10-12 regular golden Oreos.
- Butter: You will want to use unsalted butter.
- Strawberry gelatin mix: You’ll want to keep the gelatin (Jello) mix unprepared.
- French vanilla pudding mix: You will want the instant pudding for this recipe.
- White chocolate (optional): If you want to use white chocolate in this recipe, you totally can. You can use white chocolate to make the strawberries less crumbly. I love these strawberries with and without white chocolate. The best white chocolate for this recipe are the melting wafers if you can find them.
- Wax paper
- Cooking spray
How to store these strawberries
Once you’ve made your strawberries, you can store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They will be good for two days.
Tips for making this recipe
- If you want to make the crumbles stick to the strawberries better, dip the strawberries in melted white chocolate first.
- Use a double boiler to melt the chocolate. Melting it in the microwave is faster but it often comes out lumpy. If you don’t have a double boiler, use a larger pot to heat the water then spray a smaller pot with non-stick spray and melt the chocolate.
- Be sure to use French vanilla instant pudding. French vanilla makes a big difference in this recipe.
- Keep the tops on your strawberries. You can dip them easier by holding the green leaves.
- These strawberries are best the day of but can last for up to two days in your fridge.
Strawberry Crunch Covered Strawberries
- 12 strawberries washed and cleaned
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar optional
- 1 container mini golden oreos
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp strawberry jello mix (do not prepare the mix)
- 3 tbsp French vanilla instant pudding mix (do not prepare the mix)
- If desired, sprinkle your strawberries with powdered sugar for a sweeter treat or if your strawberries aren't perfectly ripe.
- Lightly spray a sheet of wax paper with non-stick spray and then set aside.
- Run your mini golden Oreos through a food processor until they are finely crushed.
- Next, soften your butter over low heat until completely melted.
- Add half the crushed Oreos to a bowl with the French vanilla instant pudding mix.
- Slowly mix half of your butter in with the mix.
- Add half of the Oreos to a separate bowl with the strawberry jello mix.
- Slowly mix in the remaining butter.
- Dip your strawberries in the vanilla mix and then again in the strawberry mix.
- Repeat until fully coated.
- Set aside on the wax paper and let set.
- Continue until you have dipped all of your strawberries.
- Let them set for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator and then serve.
If you liked this recipe for strawberry crunch covered strawberries, you might also like:
- Chocolate Oreo Crunch Covered Strawberries
- Lorna Doone Banana Pudding
- Strawberry Shortcake Fruit Salad with Strawberry Crunch Crumble
- Peach Pie Coffee Cake
I hope you enjoyed this post on how to make strawberry crunch covered strawberries. I love these strawberries, they are so fun and tasty. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!