I love cooking with bison. It is such a wonderful and lean meat to cook with. I really love this ground bison stroganoff recipe. It is a quick and comforting meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
This recipe uses simple ingredients and is great for feeding your family. Best of all, this recipe can be made in about 30 minutes. You can also easily substitute ground beef for this recipe, if desired.
Why cook with bison?
I personally love to cook with ground bison. It’s lean and it is sustainable. Bison meat also has less calories, less fat, and more protein than ground beef. To me, it is a very close to beef but a cleaner taste.
Do I have to use bison?
You can absolutely substitute ground beef in this recipe. I recommend trying to go as lean as possible.
What is stroganoff sauce made of?
This stroganoff sauce is made from canned cream of mushroom, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, and a blend of spices.
What ingredients do I need for this bison stroganoff?
- Ground bison: You’ll need one pound of ground bison for this recipe.
- Fresh mushrooms: Almost any variety of mushroom will work in this recipe, just make sure they’re sliced.
- Canned cream of mushroom soup: You’ll want to use two cans for this recipe, about 10.5 oz each.
- Sour cream: I always think full fat sour cream is best for stroganoff.
- Worcestershire sauce: For flavor.
- Yellow onion: You’ll want to slice them.
- Onion powder, garlic, and paprika: To flavor the stroganoff.
- Salt and pepper: I always recommend that you use salt and pepper to your taste.
- Egg noodles: You’ll need about a ½ pound of egg noodles.
What side dishes go with bison stroganoff?
I love serving this stroganoff over egg noodles but if you’re watching your carbs you could also do mashed cauliflower. This recipe also goes great with rolls or a crusty bread on the side.
How do I make this recipe?
This recipe is super easy, it’s great for busy weeknights. You’ll want to begin by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Add your egg noodles and cook according to the directions on their package. Drain and set aside.
Next, brown your ground bison (until no pink remains) with the garlic, mushrooms and the onions. Drain off any fat. Add in the canned mushroom soups, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream.
Sprinkle in the seasonings. Stir well and then simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve over egg noodles.
Other easy dinner ideas:
- Large skillet
- Large pot
- 1 lb ground bison may substitute lean ground beef
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (about 10.5 oz each)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 yellow onion diced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb egg noodles cooked and drained
- Begin by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Add your egg noodles and cook according to the directions on their package. Drain and set aside.
- Next, brown your ground bison (until no pink remains) with the garlic, mushrooms and the onions. Drain off any fat.
- Add in the canned mushroom soups, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream.
- Sprinkle in the spices. Stir well then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Serve over egg noodles.
Such a hearty and comforting meal! Love the use of bison here!
Will make again!
A great hearty meal idea! Nice with the stroganoff!
My family loved this. I used ground venison instead of bison, and it was delicious!
This was such a delicious dish, and I loved the creaminess. I love bison and don’t cook with it enough!
Good awesome recipe added more paprika and a dash of soy sauce
Two Pink Peonies
I am so glad that you enjoyed the recipe. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave a comment and a review!
Question: Your instructions say to cook the bison with garlic and onions, but your ingredient list doesn’t include garlic. How much garlic do you add? Sliced, pressed, minced or chopped?
Hi Susan, I meant the garlic powder when I said garlic. Sprinkle it over the bison.
Sallye in Tennessee
Love this easy 5 star recipes.. Followed recipe exactly.. Served with a salad & garlic bread. Delicious!
B J white
This was super easy, pretty fast and really delicious. Highly recommend. It’s Thanksgiving Eve, I had farm raised bison thawed and was too lazy to fire up the grill. Happened to have all 7 ingredients and this is a do over.
Excellent. Easy. I did need to cut with some heavy cream. Overall a Win-win!
So glad you liked it! Always nice to see another Audrey btw! 🙂