This crockpot bison chili recipe is something I always make when my husband requests “something different.” Does anyone else ever get that request from their family? I find that using bison in my meals is a great way to mix things up.
Why cook with bison?
I love making chili with ground bison. One reason why I love this recipe is because bison is considered to be a great healthy choice for lean meat since most bison are free range and grass fed. Although sometimes bison can taste kind of gamey, the flavors go really well together in the chili. Chili is one of the best things you can make with ground bison meat. Now, I actually prefer to make chili with ground bison instead of ground beef. If I ever catch ground bison on sale, I always buy a few packs for my freezer.
What should I serve with this chili?
Sometimes when I make this slow cooker bison chili, I serve it with oyster crackers, shredded cheddar, and sour cream but corn bread, saltines, or a bread bowl would also make a great side. It is a great filling meal.
Do I have to brown the bison beforehand?
Yes, I recommend that you brown the bison beforehand. Even though bison is very lean, it will have a weird texture if you don’t brown it prior to putting it in the crockpot.
What ingredients do I need to make this bison chili?
To make this crockpot bison chili, you will need:
- Olive oil
- Ground bison meat
- Red onion finely chopped
- Red bell pepper
- Canned dark kidney beans
- Canned light kidney beans
- Canned Cannellini beans
- Canned tomato sauce
- White sugar
- Garlic powder
- Minced onion
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
How long should I cook this recipe for?
This recipe should cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. If you need to leave it cooking past 8 hours, you can. Chili recipes do great in the crockpot on low for long periods of time, just add a little bit more liquid if you need to cook it longer than 8 hours.
Crockpot Bison Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground bison meat
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 can dark kidney beans
- 1 can light kidney beans
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup water or more depending on what size slow cooker you are using
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- chopped green onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- oyster crackers or saltines
- Begin by browning the ground bison in a large frying pan.
- Drain any fat (there shouldn't be too much fat with bison) and add the meat to your slow cooker.
- Drain the water from the cans of beans and add them as well as the remaining ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Stir well and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
If you liked this crockpot bison chili recipe, you also like:
- The Big List of Crockpot Dinner Ideas
- Yellow Cake Mix Corn Bread
- Crockpot Borracho Beans
- Sweet Potato Bison Chili