This crockpot sweet potato and bison chili is hearty, easy to make, and everything you could want in a chili recipe! Enjoy a steaming hot bowl of this chili with a nice slice of cornbread.
I absolutely love cooking with bison. I love this crockpot sweet potato and bison chili recipe because bison is considered to be a great healthy choice for lean meat since most bison are free range and grass fed.
This recipe is also great because it is gluten free. Also, this bison chili is so easy to throw together in your crockpot. Slow cookers make everything so much easier, seriously, your crockpot will do all the work with this recipe.
Why cook with bison?
I love cooking bison and making chili with ground bison is amazing. One reason why I love this recipe is because bison is considered to be a great healthy choice for lean meat. Most bison are free range and grass fed. Bison is very similar to ground beef except it is a lot healthier.
Does this recipe taste gamey?
Although sometimes bison can taste kind of gamey, the flavors go really well together in the chili and the ingredients, especially the sweet potato reduce the gamey flavor. I actually prefer to make chili with ground bison instead of ground beef. If I ever catch ground bison on sale, I always buy a few packs for my freezer.
What toppings go on this chili?
I love to serve this sweet potato and bison chili with shredded cheddar, avocado, red onions, and sour cream. Corn bread, oyster crackers, or corn chips are also good choices.
Do I have to use a crockpot for this recipe?
If you don’t have a crockpot, don’t worry you can still make this recipe. I love using my crockpot for chili since the longer you cook chili the better it is. If you want to slowly simmer this on a stovetop, you totally can.
How long should I cook this recipe for?
You will need to cook this bison and sweet potato chili for 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. If you need to cook it longer than 8 hours, add extra water. Chili
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
For this bison and sweet potato chili, you will need:
- Ground bison
- Sweet potatoes
- White onion
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Canned tomato paste
- Canned black beans
- Canned kidney beans
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
Crockpot Bison and Sweet Potato Chili
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 medium white onion finely diced
- 1 can kidney beans (about 15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans (about 15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- diced red onion
- Begin by browning the ground bison in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain the fat from the meat and set aside.
- While the ground bison is cooling, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small bite size pieces.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray and add the sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic to your slow cooker.
- Add the meat, garlic, diced tomatoes (with juice), and tomato sauce.
- Add the beans.
- Add the remaining spices and stir well. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, and diced red onion.
If you liked this crockpot sweet potato and bison chili recipe, you might also like:
- The Big List of Crockpot Dinner Ideas
- Yellow Cake Mix Corn Bread
- Crockpot Bison Chili
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Chili