Crockpot coq au vin (meaning chicken in wine) is an amazing French recipe that you can easily make with chicken thighs.
I’ve made this recipe for both my family and for guests and it’s been a hit each time. I love serving this crockpot coq au vin recipe over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes. This recipe also goes well with a nice crusty bread.
Coq au vin has a really fancy sounding name but it the recipe isn’t too hard. Plus, you can easily make this hearty french stew in your crockpot. I usually use a full bodied red wine when cooking this dish.
Can I really make coq au vin in the crockpot?
You can absolutely make coq au vin in a crockpot. Traditional coq au vin is thickened with flour, so this is a thinner broth. If you have time, sear your chicken with the bacon before letting it simmer in your crockpot for a more traditional flavor.
What type of chicken is best for this recipe?
This recipe is traditionally made with chicken thighs which are great for the crockpot. I find that chicken breast or other cuts can tend to be dry after cooking in the crockpot but that isn’t the case when using chicken thighs. They really have a nice flavor in this recipe.
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
For this recipe, you will need:
- Chicken thighs
- Bay Leaf
- White onion
- Grape tomatoes
- Red wine
- Chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
What type of wine should I use in this recipe?
Usually a Burgundy wine, such as a pinot noir or a cabernet sauvignon is what traditional coq au vin is made with. Most any full bodied red wine will do.
What should I serve with coq au vin?
A crusty white bread, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes are all great options to serve with coq au vin.
Other crockpot recipes that you might like:
Crockpot Coq Au Vin
- 4 slices of bacon fried and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 bay leaf remove before serving
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot cut into small pieces
- ½ cup grape tomatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the bacon, garlic, chicken thighs, and onion first.
- Then add the mushrooms, tomatoes, carrot, and wine.
- Next, add the salt and pepper, bay leaf, and chicken stock.
- Stir and then cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf prior to serving.
- Serve over buttered egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or roasted potatoes.
- A nice crusty bread also goes well with this meal.