Chicken chasseur or hunter’s chicken is a delightful French chicken stew that can be made in your crockpot.
Your family or guests will love it and this crockpot chicken chasseur goes great over buttered egg noodles or creamy mashed potatoes. It’s very easy to make and best of all it can be made in your crockpot!
This recipe is traditionally made with chicken thighs which are awesome in the crockpot. I find that chicken breast or other cuts of chicken can tend to be dry after cooking in the crockpot but this isn’t true for chicken thighs. They really have a nice flavor and don’t dry out.
French recipes are some of my favorite to try. While some are quite complicated there are many that are simpler than you think. I also thought souffles would be much more difficult to make than they are but I’ve found an easy way to make carrot souffle. While this recipe takes a few shortcuts since it is a crockpot recipe it still delicious and full of flavor.
What sides go with this recipe?
I love to serve this chicken chasseur over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Freshly buttered rolls or French bread are also really good with this recipe.
What ingredients are needed for this recipe?
To make this recipe you will need:
- Chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes sliced
- White wine
- Chicken stock
- Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
You can also use canned mushrooms if that’s what you have on hand. I’ve also used grape tomatoes and campari tomatoes because that’s what we had in our garden. For the white wine, I recommend that you use a dry white wine. If you don’t have any fresh parsley, dried parsley will work in a pinch.
How do I make this recipe?
Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray and then add the olive oil and chicken. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, and then the white wine and cognac. Add the rosemary, parsley, garlic, bay leaf, and salt pepper then the chicken stock.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and serve over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
Other crockpot recipes that you might like:
- Crockpot Coq Au Vin (French Chicken Stew)
- Crockpot Whole Chicken with Lemon and Garlic
- Crockpot Bruschetta Chicken
Crockpot Chicken Chasseur
- Crockpot (slow cooker)
- 4 to 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ¼ cup cognac
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 carton chicken stock about 32 ounces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray and then add the olive oil and chicken.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, and then the white wine and cognac. Add the rosemary, parsley, garlic, bay leaf, and salt pepper then the chicken stock.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.