Are you in the mood for something “different” for dinner? If so, you’ll love this easy crockpot Moroccan beef stew. It’s also a great way to use ground beef in your crockpot, especially if you’re not in the mood for chili.
I love buying meat from Costco, especially because they have great prices for organic meat but recently I was then left scratching my head with what to do with all the ground beef I had bought.
When I was in the midst of two children under the age of two, I had overdone it a little bit on the chili (it was easy to toss in my crockpot). I love making a good pot of chili in my crockpot but everyone was a little tired of eating chili. I’m so glad we now have this Morocan ground beef and chickpea stew curry in our crockpot meal rotation.
Is this stew spicy?
This is a very fragrant and flavorful meal although it isn’t an overly spicy stew.
What sides go well with this Moroccan beef stew?
I love to serve this stew over Basmati rice and sweet potatoes. The combination of sweet and savory makes for a great combination.
What toppings go on this stew?
I love sprinkling a few raisins on top but these are optional.
Do I have to brown the beef first?
I’m a huge fan of toss and go recipes but you will need to brown the ground beef first.
Tips for this recipe
- Use a lean ground beef, I think the leaner the better flavor the stew will have.
- Top with raisins before serving. The combination of sweet and savory is fantastic.
- This recipe calls for fresh mint and it really helps for a more authentic flavor.
Other crockpot recipes:
Crockpot Moroccan Ground Beef and Chickpea Stew
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained (about 15 ounces)
- 1 pound lean ground beef cooked and fat drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Harissa spice blend
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup fresh mint chopped with stems removed
- raisins for serving, optional
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef and chickpeas.
- Next add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add your spices and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken stock, and mint.
- Stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over rice or with a side of baked sweet potatoes.
- If desired, sprinkle a few raisins on top when serving.