Are you in the mood for something “different” for dinner? If so, you’ll love this easy crockpot Morocan ground beef and chickpea stew recipe! It’s also a great way to use ground beef in your crockpot, especially if you’re not in the mood for chili.
I love buying meat from Costco, especially because they have great prices for organic meat but I was then left scratching my head with what to do with all the ground beef I had bought. When I was in the midst of two children under the age of two, I had overdone it a little bit on the chili. I love making a good pot of chili in my crockpot but we wanted something different. I’m so glad we now have this Morocan ground beef and chickpea stew curry in our crockpot meal rotation. Personally, I love cooking with chickpeas, they are not only a healthy addition to a meal but they also have a lot of protein.
This is a very fragrant and flavorful meal although it isn’t an overly spicy stew. I love to serve this over Basmati rice and sweet potatoes. The combination of sweet and savory makes for a great combination.
I love sprinkling a few raisins on top but these are optional!
Crockpot Moroccan Ground Beef and Chickpea Stew
- Slow Cooker
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef cooked and fat drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Harissa spice blend
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped with stems removed
- Raisins for serving
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef and chickpeas.
- Next add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add your spices and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken stock, and mint.
- Stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over rice or with a side of baked sweet potatoes.
- If desired, sprinkle a few raisins on top when serving.
If you loved this crockpot Morocan ground beef and chickpea stew recipe, then be sure to check out my other crockpot recipes.