Are you in the mood for something “different” for dinner? If so, you’ll love this easy crockpot Morocan beef stew. It’s also a great way to use ground beef in your crockpot, especially if you’re not in the mood for chili.
I love buying meat from Costco, especially because they have great prices for organic meat but recently I was then left scratching my head with what to do with all the ground beef I had bought. When I was in the midst of two children under the age of two, I had overdone it a little bit on the chili. I love making a good pot of chili in my crockpot but we wanted something different. I’m so glad we now have this Morocan ground beef and chickpea stew curry in our crockpot meal rotation.
I love cooking with chickpeas, they are not only a healthy addition to a meal but they also have a lot of protein. I love all the bold flavors in this recipe.
Is this stew spicy?
This is a very fragrant and flavorful meal although it isn’t an overly spicy stew.
What sides go well with this Moroccan beef stew?
I love to serve this stew over Basmati rice and sweet potatoes. The combination of sweet and savory makes for a great combination.
What toppings go on this stew?
I love sprinkling a few raisins on top but these are optional.
Do I have to brown the beef first?
I’m a huge fan of toss and go recipes but you will need to brown the ground beef first.
Tips for making this Moroccan beef stew
- Use a lean ground beef, I think the leaner the better flavor the stew will have.
- Top with raisins before serving. The combination of sweet and savory is fantastic.
- This recipe calls for fresh mint and it really helps for a more authentic flavor.
Crockpot Moroccan Ground Beef and Chickpea Stew
- Slow Cooker
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef cooked and fat drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Harissa spice blend
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup fresh mint chopped with stems removed
- Raisins for serving
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef and chickpeas.
- Next add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add your spices and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken stock, and mint.
- Stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve over rice or with a side of baked sweet potatoes.
- If desired, sprinkle a few raisins on top when serving.