Do you love to use your slow cooker as much as I do? My slow cooker is definitely one of my favorite appliances. It makes my life as a mom so much easier. Let’s just say I do a lot of cooking in the slow cooker. This slow cooker red Thai chicken curry is an awesome recipe. I love adding this recipe into our dinner rotation because it helps us not get burnt out on crockpot meals. It is a “different” recipe for when you find yourself getting into a recipe rut.
I love using chicken thighs when cooking in my slow cooker. They tend to not dry out as much as other cuts of chicken and are really flavorful. This red Thai chicken curry recipe calls for an entire jar of red Thai curry paste but it is needed. I was a little hesitant to add it all but I quickly realized the dish needed it. This curry goes perfectly over a bowl of fluffy white rice. So skip the takeout and try out this delicious Thai recipe.
What ingredients do I need to make this recipe?
To make this red Thai curry, you will need:
- Chicken thighs: Boneless and skinless chicken thighs are the star of this recipe. I love cooking with chicken thighs in the crockpot since they don’t dry out like chicken breast. They’re also more flavorful than chicken thighs.
- Yellow onion: The yellow onion brings out a great flavor in this recipe.
- Coconut oil: Just a little to keep the chicken and veggies from sticking to your crockpot.
- Coconut sugar: If you don’t have any coconut sugar on hand you may substitute brown or raw sugar.
- Garlic: If you’re a garlic fan feel free to add a little more.
- Red bell pepper: You’ll definitely need a red bell pepper for this red Thai curry.
- Canned coconut milk: Full fat coconut milk is best in this recipe.
- Peanut butter: You’ll want creamy or smooth peanut butter for this recipe.
- Red Thai curry paste: This paste will bring the heat but the other ingredients will help to balance it out. I used the brand Thai Kitchen which is pretty mild and perfect for a family friendly meal.
- Bamboo shoots: You can usually find canned bamboo shoots in the Asian foods section of your grocery store.
- Fish sauce: Don’t worry, you just need a little but it makes a big difference in this recipe.
- Nutmeg: Adding just a little nutmeg adds a great flavor to this curry.
- Carrots: You’ll want to julienne your carrots for this recipe.
Slow Cooker Red Thai Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (may subsitute brown or raw sugar)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 small jar red thai curry paste (about 5 ounces)
- 1 can sliced bamboo shoots drained
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup carrots thinly sliced or julienned
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Chop the chicken thighs into bite size pieces and add them to your slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours and serve over rice.
Need more recipes?
If you liked this slow cooker red Thai chicken curry recipe, you might also like:
- Chipotle Chicken Crockpot Thighs
- Crockpot Lemon and Garlic Whole Chicken
- Crockpot Chiptole Chicken Chili
- Crockpot Morocan Ground Beef & Chickpea Stew