This crockpot ground beef curry is such a flavorful dish you can leave simmering all day. It is a great recipe for ground beef in your crockpot.
A friend from my local mom’s group shared her recipe with me when I lamented that I had bought way too much ground beef at Costco. I think the same goes for a lot of other things I buy there. I ended up tweaking her recipe to suit my family’s taste buds. I’ve tried to make this recipe in a skillet and let it simmer but it just doesn’t have the right flavor and I think slow cooking is the way to go with this recipe.
This crockpot ground beef curry is super easy, I think the hardest part is peeling the potatoes and browning the beef.
What goes well with this curry?
I love to serve this crockpot ground beef curry over white rice or with toasted naan bread.
Madras curry powder
I recommend using Madras curry powder. It really has an authentic taste. If you can’t find Madras curry powder where you live, you can substitute whatever curry powder you have on hand.
How long should this recipe cook in the crockpot?
You can cook this curry on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. This really is such a great recipe for the crockpot. Letting the curry simmer really gives it such a great taste.
Other crockpot recipes:
Crockpot Ground Beef Curry
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium white onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder I highly recommend using Madras curry powder if you can find it!
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cans diced tomatoes I used 14 ounce cans
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- 2 white potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 small bag of frozen peas about 12 ounces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by browning the ground beef in a non-stick skillet.
- Once it is cooked, drain any excess fat and cool slightly.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic and tomatoes to your slow cooker.
- Add the spices and mix well and then mix in the ground beef.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the frozen peas during the last 30 minutes of cooking to ensure that they don't become soggy.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.