This easy cross craft for toddlers is a great activity to make for Easter. These crosses smell amazing too!
Affiliates Disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service. There is no extra cost to you.
Easter is almost here. As my kids have gotten a little older, I’ve been trying to do a better job at staying on top of the holiday crafts. We recently did this easy cross craft together for Easter and my kids loved it. This cinnamon applesauce cross craft is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
⭐ Why I love this Easter craft
I love this easy Easter craft because the crosses smell absolutely amazing. We used a mixture of non-toxic glue, applesauce, and cinnamon. This mixture is a lot like playing with play dough or making salt dough ornaments. My kids had a lot of fun rolling the dough out and we made a lot of different shapes before doing our crosses and talking about what the cross meant for Easter. We also added a few hearts with the extra dough to symbolize the love of Jesus.
This craft is great if you’re looking for a Christian themed Sunday school craft or if you wanting to do an Easter craft with a toddler or preschooler.
⭐ Are these edible?
While these are made with non-toxic ingredients, they are not safe to eat or taste.
⭐ What supplies are needed to make this cross craft?
The supplies needed are pretty low fuss and you probably have most of them already. To make these easy Easter crosses, you will need:
- Non-toxic glue
- Ground cloves (optional)
- Cross cookie cutter (we did hearts as well)
You will actually need quite a bit of cinnamon (one cup full) for this craft so be sure to buy a larger jar of it. You can use regular or cinnamon applesauce. If you’d like, you can add one teaspoon of ground cloves to your dough to make it smell extra nice.
⭐ How to make the dough for the crosses
To make the dough you will need:
- 1 cup cinnamon
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons of non-toxic glue
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves (optional)
Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix well with a large spoon or spatula. If desired, put down wax paper where the children will be making this craft to avoid messes. Knead the dough and then form and flatten it. Create your cross (or other shapes). The dough should be about ¼ inch thick. Lay your ornaments flat to dry on a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Let them dry for 24 to 48 hours before displaying.
⭐ Tips for this craft
- The cinnamon can be quite messy. We use these smocks for doing messy crafts and painting. Be sure to wash hands well afterwards.
- Set down wax paper with tape on the table or surface you’ll be doing this craft on. This will help with clean up.
- We made crosses but you could also add other fun Easter themed shapes.
- Add a teaspoon of cloves to make your dough smell extra nice.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe if needed for a classroom setting.
Other Easter activities:
Easy Cross Craft for Toddlers
- Mixing bowl
- Large spatula or spoon
- Cross shaped cookie cutter
- 1 cup cinnamon
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoon non-toxic glue such as Elmer's white glue
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves optional
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix well with a large spoon or spatula.
- Knead the dough and then let your children form and flatten it.
- Create your cross (or other shapes). The dough should be about ¼ inch thick.
- Lay your crosses flat to dry on a sheet of wax or parchment paper. Let them dry for 24 to 48 hours before displaying.