I’m a huge fan of making almost everything in a cast iron skillet and that includes quick breads. This cast iron skillet zucchini bread is the best way to make a loaf of zucchini bread. It comes out perfectly even every time with no mushy spots.
Disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service.
Using your cast iron skillet to make zucchini bread is such a fun way to bake zucchini bread. Personally, I think that zucchini bread is such a wonderful way to use up all those extra zucchinis you have from your garden.
What size cast iron skillet is needed for this recipe?
For this recipe, I recommend using a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Someone commented on Pinterest that they used a 12 inch and it worked fine, but I haven’t personally tried this recipe with anything but a 10 inch skillet. If you do decide to try it with another size skillet, please let me know how your bread turns out.
I love the Lodge brand of cast iron skillets. You can find them on Amazon.
What ingredients do I need for this recipe?
For this cast iron skillet zucchini bread, you will need:
- Grated zucchini
- All purpose flour
- Vegetable or safflower oil
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
How do I grate the zucchini for this zucchini bread?
- Wash well and pat dry.
- Trim the ends off but leave the skin on your zucchinis.
- Use a large grate while grating.
- There’s no need to drain freshly grated zucchini.
Can I use frozen grated zucchini for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen grated zucchini. Defrost and squeeze out any excess water.
How do I clean my cast iron skillet after I make this recipe?
Usually, when I use my cast iron skillet to make breads there is very little residue if I have greased my skillet well. If you do have some sticking, scrub it gently with a scrub brush under warm water. Be sure to NOT use any soap when you do this. I usually run my scrub brush under hot water before using it on my skillet so that there is no soap residue on the brush. Wipe your skillet down with a dish towel afterwards.
You can then oil and re-season your cast iron skillet. You’ll want to avoid letting your cast iron soak as it can cause it to rust. I try to clean my cast iron skillets right away, if possible that I avoid this issue altogether.
Cast Iron Skillet Zucchini Bread
- Cast iron skillet (10 inch)
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- ½ cup vegetable or safflower oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and then grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your dry ingredients. Stir well with a large spoon.
- Next, add in your wet ingredients. Mix well with a hand mixer.
- Pour the batter into your cast iron skillet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees. A toothpick should come out clean from the middle.