There’s just something about this crockpot turkey chili with butternut squash that feels cozy. I am obsessed with all things fall and this chili gets put in the crockpot as soon as the temperature starts to dip down even a few degrees.
Sometimes I don’t even wait for fall to make this chili. In the hot summer months, crockpot cooking really comes in handy. I love to use my crockpot so I don’t have to heat up my kitchen.
How long should I cook this turkey chili with butternut squash?
I love that with this recipe your slow cooker does all the work. I feel like crockpots are seriously one of the most underrated kitchen appliances. They make cooking dinner so much easier. When it comes to cook time, you can cook this recipe on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. If you need to leave the recipe on longer than 8 hours, you totally can! Just make sure it is on low and there is a little extra liquid.
Do I have to use ground turkey in this chili?
This recipe is also great with ground beef (as long as it is lean ground beef) if that’s what you have on hand and you could even make it with left over Thanksgiving turkey. The combination of flavors really do work with different types and cuts of meat.
Do I have to brown the meat beforehand?
Yes or else it becomes too clumpy and possibly too greasy. I always recommend browning the meat beforehand. To save time, you could also brown the meat the night before and toss it in the crockpot with everything else in the morning to save time.
What toppings go well with this chili?
Avocado, diced red onion, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and corn chips all make great toppings for this chili. I also like to serve this crockpot turkey and butternut squash chili with a side of yellow cake mix cornbread. The two pair really nicely together.
Crockpot Turkey Chili with Butternut Squash
- Slow Cooker
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles such as Rotel
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 package frozen butternut squash cubes (about 12 ounces)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced red onion
- oyster crackers
- corn chips
- Begin by cooking your ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat until it is thoroughly browned.
- Spray your crockpot or slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, and turkey to your crockpot.
- Rinse and drain the beans and then also add them.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes and diced tomatoes with chiles (do not drain).
- Add the spices and the butternut squash.
- Add the chicken stock. If you intend on cooking this recipe for longer than 8 hours add a little extra to the mixture.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
If you liked this crockpot turkey chili with butternut squash recipe, you might also like:
- The BIG List of Crockpot Recipes
- Yellow Cake Mix Cornbread
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Thighs
- Bison and Sweet Potato Chili
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Chickpea Curry
- Easy Butternut Squash Souffle