Snow dough is such a fun and hands on activity for kids. It is super easy to make and you only need two ingredients! It is amazingly soft and a great way to keep kids busy. Best of all, you can easily have the snow dough ready in five minutes or less.
Affiliates Disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service. There is no extra cost to you.
We have moved a lot in the past five years. We moved from Texas to Canada then back to Texas but since we sold our house when we moved to Canada we moved in with my parents, then to an apartment, and then to our new house. It was a lot of moving! In the move I somehow ended up with not one, not two, but three containers of corn starch. I also ended up with three different containers of salt too. It was kind of chaos and there was stuff every where. Luckily, we were finally able to start using our corn starch stash with this fun snow dough craft.
The importance of sensory activities
My kids sat quietly and played with our snow dough for a good 45 minutes. I was really impressed in how engaging it was for them. Snow dough is a great activity for kids to use to explore. The dough is silky smooth and there are so many fun and creative ways to play, shape, and mold it.
Other fun ideas
- Food coloring is optional and snow dough is actually really versatile. You could use the snow dough in a winter or Christmas themed sensory bin, dye it green for St. Patrick’s Day, or red for Valentine’s Day. I suggest mixing the food coloring with the oil for the best mix.
- Try adding glitter for a sparkly dough.
- Make snow men by using pipe cleaners and googly eyes.
- Use play dough tools to play with the dough.
- Add small amount of peppermint oil for a fun scent.
How to store
You can store snow dough in an airtight tupperware container or ziplock bag for a few weeks. Just let all the air out that you can so it stays fresh.
How to keep snow dough from being messy
Fair warning, this activity can be a bit messy. To control the mess, you may want to consider:
- Use an apron like this one from Amazon.
- Use a large plastic bin to contain the mess.
- Do the snow dough outside.
- Use a tablecloth or do the activity at a designated craft table.
Is this snow dough taste safe?
This snow dough is not safe to eat.
What ingredients are needed to make snow dough?
To make snow dough you only need two ingredients. You will need corn starch and baby oil. You can also add food coloring if desired. If adding food coloring, I recommend adding it with the oil before mixing it with the corn starch.
How do I made snow dough?
To make snow dough first gather and measure out your ingredients. You will need:
- 1 ½ cups of corn starch
- ½ cup of baby oil
- Food coloring (optional)
Mix the corn starch and baby oil together. Stir well with a large spoon. Add additional baby oil if dough is not smooth.
- 1 ½ cups corn starch
- ½ cup baby oil
- food coloring optional
- Mix the corn starch and baby oil together and stir with a large spoon until it becomes solid.
- If using food coloring, add the coloring to the oil before mixing.