This chocolate cake mix banana bread is perfect for chocolate lovers. It is so easy to make with a box of your favorite chocolate cake mix!
I love using a box of cake mix as a recipe hack and this chocolate cake mix banana bread is no exception. Moist, tender, and extra chocolately this chocolate banana bread using cake mix will easily become your favorite banana bread recipe!
I used dark chocolate cake mix because my husband is a huge dark chocolate fan but milk chocolate cake mix also works well. Love chocolate? Be sure to also check out these small batch 8×8 pan brownies and Oreo crunch cupcakes!
👩🏻🍳 Why you’ll love this recipe
It’s easy, it’s perfect for chocolate lovers, and it’s a great way to use up any extra bananas in your fruit bowl.
🍌 Ingredients needed
For this recipe, you will need:
- Bananas: You’ll need three brown bananas for this recipe. The darker the banana, the sweeter your banana bread will be.
- Chocolate cake mix: I used a dark chocolate cake mix but you can use a regular chocolate cake mix as well. The box I used was a 15.25 ounce box.
- Eggs: Three large eggs are what is required for this recipe.
- Butter: You’ll want to use unsalted butter in this recipe.
- Cinnamon: Just a ¼ teaspoon is needed. The cinnamon helps to bring out the chocolate flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best for baking.
- Buttermilk: You can use buttermilk or you can substitute ⅓ cup of milk and ⅓ teaspoon of lemon juice. Gently stir and then let it sit for about five minutes before adding in.
- Chocolate chips: These are totally optional, but to make this chocolate banana bread extra decadent try adding half of a cup of chocolate chips.
💭 Can I use frozen bananas?
I love using frozen bananas for banana bread and you can absolutely use frozen bananas for this recipe.
🥣 What size pan do I need for this recipe?
For this recipe, you’ll need a bundt cake pan or two loaf pans (8 x 4 inch).
⏲️ How to make this recipe
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, blend the bananas, eggs, butter, vanilla extract. Add the cinnamon and cake mix slowly.
Add the buttermilk (or milk with lemon juice) and blend well with a hand mixer for about two minutes or until no longer lumpy.
Bake in a bundt cake pan or two loaf pans (8 x 4 inch) for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
🧾 Why make banana bread in a bundt cake pan?
I love making banana bread in a bundt cake pan because not only does it make the banana bread beautiful, it also makes for a very moist banana bread. If you don’t have a bundt cake pan, no worries you can also make this chocolate cake mix banana bread in two loaf pans.
💬 Can I freeze this banana bread?
Yes, you can freeze this banana bread. I recommend doing a double wrap of plastic cling wrap or aluminum foil. It will be good in the freezer for up to three months. To defrost, let it sit out until it becomes room temperature.
Other great banana bread recipes:
If you tried this Chocolate Cake Mix Banana Bread or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Chocolate Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Bundt cake pan or two loaf pans (8 x 4 inch)
- 3 ripe bananas mashed with a fork
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (about 15.25 ounces) (ignore the directions on the box)
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or ⅓ cup milk with ⅓ teaspoon lemon juice – see note
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the bananas, eggs, butter, vanilla extract. Add the cinnamon and cake mix slowly.
- Add the ⅓ cup of buttermilk and blend well with a hand mixer for about two minutes or until no longer lumpy.
- Bake in a greased bundt cake pan or two loaf pans for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.