I absolutely love using my cast iron skillet to cook and bake with. There are so many fun cast iron skillet recipes out there! I recently made banana bread in my cast iron skillet and it was perfect. Cooking quick breads in your cast iron skillet is an awesome cooking hack. Using your cast iron for pumpkin is bread is also amazing because the cast iron causes the bread to cook so evenly whereas loaf pans take forever and breads can come out a little mushy in the middle. I love making pumpkin bread (and banana bread) in my cast iron skillet!
Disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service at no additional cost to you.
Using a cast iron skillet for pumpkin bread
I used a 10″ cast iron skillet for this recipe but you could probably make a 12″ one work as well. I have recently started using my cast iron skillet more often and I absolutely love it.
My sister always uses her cast iron skillet and she kept reminding me that it’s a great way to get a little extra iron. I never knew if this was true or not but according to MSU, a small amount of iron does get absorbed into the food. I think it’s a cool way to add extra nutrients to your cooking.
I really love the Lodge brand of cast iron skillets. You can find them on Amazon.
This pumpkin bread recipe is very light. It calls for both baking soda and baking powder which gives it a nice texture. When making this recipe make sure you use pumpkin puree and NOT pumpkin pie filling.
Cast Iron Skillet Pumpkin Bread
- Cast iron skillet
- 1 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or safflower oil
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients. Stir well with a large spoon.
- Add the wet ingredients and then mix with a hand mixer for about three minutes.
- Pour into a well greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
I hope you enjoyed this cast iron skillet pumpkin bread recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook for lots of recipes and cooking inspiration.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
- Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Six Banana Banana Bread
- Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Easy Peach Pie Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
- Impossibly Easy Apple Pie
- Buttermilk and Honey Banana Bread