This pumpkin chickpea curry is one of my all time favorite vegetarian recipes for the crockpot. It is so good! I cook it all year round and serve it with shredded coconut, chopped peanuts or almonds, and a raisins. I think the toppings make these dish extra fun. I also love to toast some naan bread toasted with lots of garlic and butter to go with it. Toasted coconut rice or basmati rice also pairs really nicely with this dish.
Your friends and family will not miss the meat with this delicious recipe. I love cooking with chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) and experimenting with different types of chickpea curry. They are very filling and so nutritious!
Another great thing about this pumpkin chickpea recipe is that I can keep all the ingredients on hand. I usually have a white onion laying around and everything else is usually hanging out in my pantry. I absolutely love that I can easily throw everything together.
Is this a spicy curry?
This is a very mild and sweet curry. If you are worried about it being too spicy, you can use a little less curry powder.
Madras curry powder
When making this recipe or any type of curry, I highly recommend looking for Madras curry powder for a better and more authentic flavor. If you can’t find it at your local grocery store, it is available on Amazon. If you can’t find Madras, don’t worry you can still use whatever curry powder you have on hand.
If you live in an area where you can’t find ghee, you can always use clarified butter or substitute two tablespoons of olive oil.
What toppings go best on this crockpot pumpkin chickpea curry?
I love to top this pumpkin chickpea curry with shredded coconut, chopped peanuts or almonds, and a raisins.
Crockpot Pumpkin Chickpea Curry
- 2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans garbanzo beans
- 1 can pumpkin purée (about 15 ounces) (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp Madras Curry Powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Sweetened coconut flakes
- Chopped peanuts or almonds
- Begin by spraying your crockpot with nonstick spray.
- Chop the white onion into very fine pieces and then add the onion to your crockpot with the ghee or clarified butter (you can subsitute olive oil, if needed).
- Then chop the baby carrots into small pieces, also adding them with the minced garlic into your crockpot.
- Rinse and drain your garbanzo beans and add them. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Add your choice of raisins, coconut flakes, or peanuts when serving.
Need even more ideas for your crockpot? Join our Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipe group on Facebook.
If you liked this crockpot pumpkin chickpea curry recipe, then you might also like:
- The BIG List of Crockpot Recipes
- Vegetarian Crockpot Vegetable Coconut Curry
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread