Looking for an easy chicken crockpot recipe? Check out this crockpot chipotle chicken chili recipe. This chili is bursting with flavors and brings a little heat. You can adjust how spicy the chili is by adding more or less chipotle pepper.
I’m a firm believer that the crockpot is one of the most underutilized kitchen gadgets out there. I use mine all the time. I love how quickly I can toss everything in my crockpot and then let it simmer all day. This is a very minimal prep recipe so it’s perfect to put together before a busy morning. It’s so awesome that you in just minutes you can have an awesome meal simmering away. If desired, you can dice the onion and bell pepper the night before to make putting this recipe together even faster.
This is also the perfect dish to prepare for a tailgate or Superbowl party. Who doesn’t love a good bowl of chili?
What type of chicken should I use in this chili recipe?
For the chicken, you can use chicken breast or chicken thighs. I prefer to use chicken thighs when slow cooking since they tend to be less dry. I don’t think you can wrong either way with this recipe though so use what you have on hand.
What should I serve with this chili?
I love to serve this crockpot chipotle chicken chili with yellow cake mix corn bread. The combination of sweet and a little spicy is amazing. You can also serve this with corn chips or oyster crackers. I like to top this crockpot chipotle chili with a little cheddar and sour cream.
What ingredients do I need to make this chili?
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Kidney beans
- White beans
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken breast or chicken thighs
- Chili powder
- Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (7 ounces)
- Chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
Is this chili spicy?
This chili does have some heat. You can adjust how spicy the chili is by adding more or less chipotle pepper.
Crockpot Chipotle Chicken Chili
- food processor
- Slow Cooker
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can white beans such as cannellini or great northern beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 lb chicken breast or thigh cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (7 ounces)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the olive oil, onions, bell pepper, garlic and chicken.
- Next rinse and drain your beans and add to your slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatos including the juice.
- Add the chicken and then add the chicken stock.
- Next, run your chipotle peppers with adobo sauce through a food processor until it comes out very fine and mashed. If you want a spicier chili then add the entire can. If you would prefer a less spicy chili then only add half.
- Add the salt and pepper, chili powder, paprika, and cumin.
- Stir well and then cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
If you liked this crockpot chipotle chicken chili recipe, you might also like:
- Yellow Cake Mix Corn Bread
- The Big List of Crockpot Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
- The Best Ever Crockpot Pulled Pork Tacos
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Need even more ideas for your crockpot or slow cooker? Be sure to join the Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipe group on Facebook for even more recipes and cooking inspiration.