These crockpot black beans are slow cooked with beer, bacon, onion, and spices! Let your crockpot do all the work with this easy recipe.
Crockpot black beans are such a good hearty side dish. They are great to make in your crockpot since they are best if they are slow cooked.
I love making these crockpot black beans! They are a healthy, budget friendly side dish. Plus, they go great with dishes like this crockpot chicken tinga or yellow cake mix cornbread.
This is a no fuss recipe, you just need to soak the beans, chop a few things, and then toss everything in. Your crockpot will do all the work with this recipe.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
These black beans are super easy to make. You will need:
- Dried black beans: If you can, I highly recommend soaking them in water the night before or at least for a few hours before preparing. Soaking the beans will make a big difference.
- Beer: To cook the black beans in, you’ll need just one bottle (about 12 ounces).
- Bacon: This will give the beans a great flavor.
- Onion: One small or medium white onion works best for this recipe.
- Fresh cilantro: Remove the stems and finely dice your cilantro.
- Garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper: To season the beans with.
Tips and recipe notes
- If you have time, I highly recommend soaking your black beans the night before. To soak, all you need to do is place the beans in a bowl with cool water and cover with a cloth overnight. That’s it! If you don’t have time, I’ve made these before and have only soaked them a few hours or not at all and they were still good.
- For the bacon, no need to cook before. Just dice your raw bacon and throw it in your crockpot or slow cooker and it will cook with the beans.
- I prefer to use a lighter beer when cooking these, but most beers would go well with this recipe.
- Add some water to your crockpot if your beans are not completely submerged.
If you liked this recipe, you might also enjoy:
Crockpot Black Beans
- Crockpot (slow cooker)
- 16 ounces dried black beans (soaked in water the night before preparing or at least a few hours before preparing)
- 1 bottle beer 12 ounces, I used a light beer
- 4 strips bacon diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped finely, stem removed
- 1 bay leaf remove before serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add your diced bacon. It does not need to be cooked.
- Next add the onion, spices and black beans.
- Pour your beer over the beans, bacon, onion, and spices and then stir well.
- Add a little water to cover the beans if they aren't completely covered.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
Looks so delicious 🤤🤤🤤