This creamy green avocado dip is so easy to make. It is sure to be a hit as a side for Taco Tuesday or for your next potluck. This dip goes really well with anything Tex-Mex or is great if you’re just craving something to snack on. Just like guacamole or mean green queso, you can serve it with tortilla chips. This recipe is more for dipping chips in than serving over food.
Why I love this creamy green avocado dip
The avocados in this recipe make this dip so creamy. I love to make this dip whenever my local store has a sale on avocados. Avocados are so good for you. They are full of healthy fat and are a heart healthy and nutrient dense food. They are also high in fiber and also very delicious!
I also especially love to make this dip for game nights or Superbowl parties. This also so easy to throw together if you’re short on time and all you need is a bag of tortilla chips to go with it. This dip can be made in as little as five minutes.
As a Texan, I love avocados and Tex-Mex dishes. This dip is definitely Tex-Mex!
What ingredients are needed to make this dip?
To make this dip you will need:
- Avocados: You’ll want them to be ripe and ready to use
- Salsa verde: You can control the heat with this recipe. Pick your favorite whether it is mild, medium, or hot. You can also a little more salsa if you want some extra spice in your dip.
- Sour cream: The full fat version usually tastes the best but if you want to use low fat then you certainly can.
- Lime juice: I used two medium limes. Fresh lime juice will make a big difference in this recipe.
- Garlic salt: This will give the recipe some extra flavor. You can add more or less, if desired. I always recommend starting with less and then adding more if you want some extra zip.
- Onion powder: The onion powder will also give the dip a little extra flavor.
How to make this recipe
To make the dip, begin by peeling and removing the seeds from your avocados. Mash them and then mix in the sour cream with a hand mixer. Once everything is smooth, add the salsa verde and stir by hand. You can add more or less salsa depending on how spicy you like your dip. I found half a jar wasn’t overly spicy. Next, add the lime juice, garlic salt, and onion powder and stir with a large spoon. Serve with tortilla chips.
How to store this recipe
Store this recipe in an airtight container in your fridge. The avocados may turn brown but it is still safe to eat for 3 to 5 days. Stirring the dip a few times before eating again will revive the green color.
Can I freeze this dip?
The dip doesn’t freeze well and is best eaten fresh.
Creamy Green Avocado Dip
- Hand mixer
- 2 large avocados
- 1/2 jar salsa verde (about 8 ounces)
- 1 container sour cream (about 16 ounces)
- the juice of two limes
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- To make the dip, begin by peeling and removing the seeds from your avocados.
- Mash them and then mix in the sour cream with a hand mixer.
- Once everything is smooth, add the salsa verde and stir by hand. You can add more or less salsa depending on how spicy you like your dip. I found half a jar wasn't overly spicy.
- Next, add the lime juice, garlic salt, and onion powder and stir with a large spoon. Stir well.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
I hope you enjoy this creamy green avocado dip recipe. My family and I love it! If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this creamy green avocado dip, you might also like:
- Vegetarian Quinoa Enchilada Bake
- Vegetarian Tex-mex Enchiladas
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Crockpot Borracho Beans
- Mean Green Crockpot Queso