This buttermilk and honey banana bread smells amazing while baking. The addition of buttermilk and honey is a wonderful twist on a classic favorite.
Don’t you love good old fashioned comfort food? I know that I do and that’s why I love this buttermilk and honey banana bread recipe. Banana bread is a regular staple in our household. I feel like I make a loaf every few weeks or so. My kids love banana bread and so does my husband.
I love to try new recipes and see if there’s any way to make banana bread any more delicious. Who doesn’t love the way your house smells while baking a delicious loaf of banana bread? It’s magical. The combination of bananas, honey, and buttermilk is a fantastic one! So, if you have some very ripe bananas grab them and make this banana bread.
What ingredients are needed for this recipe?
For this recipe you will need:
- All purpose flour: The base of our banana bread recipe.
- Bananas: You’ll want your bananas to be anywhere from a little spotty to turning black. The darker the banana, the sweeter the banana bread will turn out.
- White sugar: To sweeten our banana bread.
- Honey: One of the star ingredients of this recipe is honey. It has such an amazing flavor that goes so well with the bananas.
- Buttermilk: Don’t have any buttermilk? Don’t worry! You can easily make buttermilk. To make one cup of buttermilk, simply add one cup of room temperature milk to two tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice.
- Vegetable oil: You can also use safflower oil, if desired.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best for baking.
- Eggs: You’ll need two large eggs for this recipe.
- Baking soda: To make the banana bread rise.
- Salt: You’ll need just ½ a teaspoon for this recipe.
- Cinnamon: To give this banana bread a little spice.
- Pecans or walnuts: I love adding pecans but adding nuts is totally optional.
What type of pan should I use for this recipe?
For this recipe, you’ll need one loaf pan.
Can I use frozen bananas?
I love using frozen bananas when making banana bread. You can absolutely use frozen bananas if you have some on hand. I love throwing some ripe bananas in my freezer and getting them out later to make banana bread with.
Can I freeze this buttermilk and honey banana bread?
You can absolutely freeze this banana bread recipe. To best freeze this recipe, I suggest wrapping a loaf tightly in aluminum foil or in plastic wrap. This banana bread can be frozen for two to three months. When you’re ready to eat it, let it defrost and then slice it.
Buttermilk and Honey Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir well.
- Mix the mashed bananas, oil, vanilla extract, and buttermilk together in.
- Next mix the honey and the eggs.
- Mix well with a hand mixer.
- Add the nuts and stir them in with a spoon if desired.
- Pour into your loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread.
If you liked this buttermilk and honey banana bread recipe, you might also like:
- Coconut Pudding Banana Bread
- Super Easy Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
- Butterscotch Banana Bread
- Molasses Banana Bread
- Copycat Starbucks Banana Bread
- Chocolate Pudding Banana Bread
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. I love a good banana bread recipe! If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!