This whole wheat apple coffee cake goes great with a cup of hot coffee or tea. It is the perfect fall recipe!
This whole wheat apple cake is one of my favorite recipes. It is amazing served warm right out of the oven. This is a great cake to serve with coffee when having guests over, for breakfast, or as a snack. It is sweet but not decadent.
I love the combination of the tart apples and nutty flavor that the whole wheat flour gives. Despite the whole wheat flour, the cake is still very moist. I love trying recipes with whole wheat flour to make them a little healthier.
For this recipe, you will need:
- Whole wheat flour: The base of the coffee cake batter.
- White sugar and brown sugar: To sweeten the cake.
- Apples: You will need three medium apples for this recipe. You can use any baking friendly variety (red, yellow, or green all work). I usually use red apples. The hardest thing about this cake is peeling and chopping the apples.
- Baking soda: To help the cake rise.
- Vanilla extract: If possible, I recommend using pure vanilla extract in baking.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg: To give the cake some spice.
- Vegetable oil: You can use vegetable oil or any other neutral oil like safflower oil or canola.
- Eggs: You’ll need three large eggs for this recipe.
- Pecans or walnuts: These are optional, so add them if you like nuts. I placed mine on top to make the cake look pretty but you can stir them right in.
You will need a 9 x 13 baking dish for this cake.
How to make (step by step guide)
This coffee cake recipe is super simple to make. The hardest thing is peeling and chopping your apples.
To make this cake, begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl add the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, baking soda, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg).
Next add the eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil. Mix well with a hand-mixer until everything is well combined.
Gently mix in the apple pieces. Add the nuts (if desired). I placed mine on top but you can stir them in.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or cover with plastic storage wrap. Keep at room temperature. This cake will be good for 3-4 days after making.
- Measure your flour correctly. It is the most common baking mishap. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then fill it up. Do not pack. Use a butter knife to remove any excess from the top (it’ll measure evenly this way).
- Check at 40 minutes and bake longer if needed. A toothpick should come out clean from the middle once the cake is done.
Other apple recipes
Whole Wheat Apple Coffee Cake Recipe
- 9 x 13 inch pan well greased
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups cored, chopped, and peeled apples about 3 medium apples
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts optional
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add the whole wheat flour, baking soda, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Next add the eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil.
- Mix well with a hand-mixer until everything is well combined.
- Gently mix in the apple pieces.
- Add the nuts (if desired). I placed mine on top but you can stir them in.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Jen @ Jen Bradley | MOMS
Yum! I absolutely love cooking and baking with whole wheat! If only I could find some at the grocery store. Can’t wait to try this soon.
This looks like the perfect autumn dish!
I love this whole wheat apple coffee cake, it’s perfect for my coffee indeed. Thanks!:)