These copycat Starbucks rice crispy treats (also called marshmallow dream bars) are so easy to make at home. They are gooey, sweet, and loaded with yummy marshmallows.
My kids love the rice crispy treats from Starbucks. I was never a huge Starbucks person until we lived in walking distance of one. When my kids would still sit in a stroller, I would walk them over in our massive double stroller and get a venti coffee.
When my kids were both under the age of two (two under two), I needed coffee, like really needed coffee. I was seriously sleep deprived. On a whim, I grabbed a Starbucks rice crispy treat and I’ve been hooked ever since. They are just so good! I love how gooey they are and they go great with a cup of coffee or tea. If you love Starbucks, you might also want to check out this copycat Starbucks banana bread recipe.
What ingredients are needed to make this recipe?
This recipe is easy peasy, you will need:
- Rice cereal: You’ll need 6 cups worth.
- Butter: I recommend using unsalted butter.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best in this recipe.
- Mini marshmallows: Be sure that they are fresh or they’ll make the treats hard. You will need extra marshmallows for this copycat recipe so that the bars will have marshmallows inside, just like the originals.
What type of pan is needed?
You will need a 9 x 9 inch pan. Grease it well!
Tips for this recipe
- Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Don’t forget to set aside some of the marshmallows to mix in with the rice cereal. This will give the bars the same marshmallows throughout, just like the originals!
- Use fresh ingredients. Both rice cereal and marshmallows can go stale easily. Old marshmallows can make the treats come out too hard.
- Don’t press the treats down too hard when putting them in the pan. Pushing them down too much will make them tough.
- To make things easier, spray your hands with non-stick spray before pressing the rice crispy treats in the pan.
Copycat Starbucks Rice Cripsy Treats
- 9 inch pan
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 15 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Reserve about 5 ounces of the mini marshmallows and set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat your butter over medium heat. Stir in 10 ounces of the mini marshmallows.
- Gently stir, until everything is well melted.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract. Stir well.
- In a large bowl add the cereal and then add the 5 ounces of mini marshmallows you reserved. Stir well. This will give the treats marshmallows throughout just like the originals.
- Add the melted mixture to the cereal and additional mini marshmallows. Mix well.
- Add the mixture to the 9 x 9 pan and let sit for about one hour.
If you liked this copycat recipe, you might also enjoy:
- Copycat Starbucks Banana Bread
- Copycat Starbucks Oatmeal
- Copycat Starbucks Vanilla Steamer
- The BIG List of Non-Coffee Starbucks Drinks
- The BEST Iced Drinks to get from Starbucks
Don’t forget to save this recipe to Pinterest for later!