This crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe is not only an easy recipe for your crockpot but if you have any leftovers it is also a great freezer meal.
Don’t you just love using your crockpot? It’s great for this hearty Italian chicken stew called chicken cacciatore. Cacciatore translates to hunter in Italian and traditional cacciatore recipes often use chicken or rabbit. This stew is actually meant to simmer for a long time so using your crockpot for this recipe is perfect.
This crockpot chicken cacciatore recipe is not only an easy recipe for your crockpot but it if you have any leftovers it is also a great freezer meal. Simply freeze your leftovers and you can defrost them later and serve over spaghetti, linguini, or your favorite pasta. You could even try it with zucchini noodles if you’re doing low carb.
Why I love this recipe
I usually always have chicken and spaghetti sauce on hand so not only is it great for the crockpot but no special ingredients are required. So, if you’re looking at your crockpot and wondering what to make, give this recipe a try.
This recipe is also one of my favorite meals to make for meal trains or for new moms. I actually just made a double batch recently, one for our dinner and then a freezer meal for a meal train for a neighbor. It’s an easy meal to throw together in your crockpot and a classic. It’s also a very family friendly recipe.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Chicken breast or thighs: You can use chicken breast or chicken thighs in this recipe.
- Olive oil: I recommend extra virgin olive oil.
- Tomato sauce: You’ll need two jars that are about 24 ounces.
- Zucchini, squash, white onion, yellow bell pepper: The vegetables for the cacciatore.
- Mushrooms: You can use canned or fresh.
- Italian blend seasoning and garlic: To season the cacciatore.
- Salt and pepper: I recommend doing salt and pepper to taste.
- Tomato paste (only needed if freezing leftovers)
What type of chicken should you use in this recipe?
You can use chicken breast or chicken thighs for this recipe. I find that when using a crockpot, chicken thighs tend to more juicy. Feel free to use whichever you happen to have on hand.
What size crockpot do I need for this recipe?
For this recipe, you’ll want a 6 quart or larger crockpot.
How to make this recipe
Begin by spraying your crockpot with non-stick spray.
Next, add the chicken (you can use cubed breast or thighs) and olive oil.
Add the garlic, zucchini, squash, red onion, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomato sauce.
Next, add the Italian blend seasoning and salt and pepper.
Cook on low for six to eight hours or on high for four hours.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve over linguini or spaghetti noodles and top with Parmesan cheese.
How do I store leftovers?
You can keep leftovers in your refrigerator in an airtight container for three to four days. Reheat over low medium heat on your stove top or you can also use your microwave to reheat leftovers.
How do I freeze this recipe?
If you want to freeze any leftovers, simply let them cool and then freeze the sauce with two tablespoons of tomato paste in a large freezer safe zip lock bag or freezer safe storage container. You’ll want to add the tomato paste because defrosting will cause the leftovers to become watery (mostly due to the zucchini).
Defrost overnight and then reheat in a microwave safe dish or you can also reheat in a large pot on the stove-top over low medium heat. I don’t recommend freezing any leftover pasta, instead make fresh pasta when you reheat this freezer friendly chicken cacciatore.
Other easy crockpot recipes:
- Crockpot Bruschetta Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff
- Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- Easy Crockpot Lemon & Garlic Whole Chicken
Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- 1 ½ lbs cubed chicken breast or thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jars tomato sauce about 24 ounces each
- 1 zucchini chopped into small pieces
- 1 squash chopped into small pieces
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian blend seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by spraying your crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Next, add the chicken (you can use cubed breast or thighs) and olive oil.
- Add the garlic, zucchini, squash, red onion, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomato sauce.
- Next, add the Italian blend seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for six to eight hours or on high for four hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve over linguini or spaghetti noodles and top with Parmesan cheese.
To freeze for later
- To freeze the sauce, add two heaping tablespoons of tomato paste and mix well.
- Let cool and then freeze flat in a freezer safe container or freezer bag.
- To serve from frozen, defrost and heat on a stove top or heat in the microwave in a microwave safe dish.
Don’t forget to save this recipe for later with Pinterest!