This crockpot mild beef chili is perfect for those who don’t like a spicy chili. This recipe is also kid friendly!
This crockpot ground beef chili is very mild but it is still a flavorful chili. I love making this recipe for my family since it is kid friendly. I have two toddlers who think everything is spicy so I have to keep my cooking very mild at the moment.
I love, love, love using my crockpot to make chili. Crockpots are seriously one of the most underrated kitchen gadgets out there. I find they make life so much easier and when you use a crockpot for chili, it is just that much better.
The longer you simmer this delicious batch of chili, the better it is. It goes great with some grated cheese on top and dollop of sour cream.
Is this recipe spicy?
No, this is a very mild beef chili. There are no jalapenos or chiles in this recipe and it is also very light on spice! So whether you’re looking for a good recipe for your family or are just not a fan of spicy food, you’ll love this crockpot mild beef chili recipe.
What do I need to make this beef chili?
For this crockpot ground beef chili with beans, you’ll need:
- White onion: You’ll need one large white onion.
- Ground beef: I recommend a leaner ground beef for this recipe.
- Kidney beans and black beans: The beans for the chili, be sure to rinse and drain the beans well.
- Diced tomatoes (canned): Be sure to get the kind that says mild to keep the chili mild and not spicy.
- Tomato paste
- Paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and oregano: To season the chili.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
What goes well with this recipe?
I love to serve this chili over corn chips with a side of diced red onion, shredded cheddar, and sour cream. I am also a huge fan of serving corn bread with chili, especially yellow cake mix corn bread because I think the sweetness in this corn bread really pairs well with the savory chili. Saltine or oyster crackers are also really good with this chili.
How lean should the beef be?
I recommend using 85% lean or higher in this recipe, if possible.
Do I have to use beef?
If you don’t want to use beef in this recipe you could substitute ground turkey or ground bison. You can also leave the meat out all together and add an extra can of beans, if desired.
Can you put raw meat in crockpot for chili?
While I love that for most crockpot recipes you can just toss everything in and go, I don’t recommend putting raw ground beef in the crockpot. It becomes clumpy and greasy. If you are a frequent user of your crockpot, brown up some ground beef (or ground turkey) and drain the fat. Let it cool and then lay it flat to freeze in a freezer friendly zip lock bag. You can easily grab it the night before and then toss it in your crockpot with everything else the next day to make this recipe that much easier.
Is chili better in the slow cooker or crockpot?
Personally, I feel like chili is better in your crockpot. I think simmering the chili for a long time really brings out the flavors.
Crockpot Mild Beef Chili with Beans
For the chili
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice do not drain
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar
- diced onion
- corn chips or corn bread
- Begin by spraying your crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Brown your ground beef and then drain any fat. Add the beef and diced onion to your crockpot.
- Rinse the cans of beans and add them to the crockpot. Add remaining ingredients and spices and stir well.
- Add ½ cup of water and then cook on low for six to eight hours.
- Serve with diced onions, shredded cheddar and sour cream on top of corn chips, crackers, or corn bread.
Need even more crockpot recipes?
Did you love these crockpot dinner ideas but need even more ideas for your crockpot or slow cooker? Join our Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipe group on Facebook.
If you liked this crockpot recipe, you might also enjoy:
- Crockpot Stuffed Shells
- Copycat Panera Turkey Chili
- Crockpot Sweet Potato and Bison Chili
- Yellow Cake Mix Corn Bread
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to save it for later with Pinterest!