Are you a banana bread fan? It feels like I’ve been on a banana bread baking mission lately. I decided to bake this molasses banana bread to see if pairing molasses and banana together would work. Not only does it work, it is makes such a beautiful and flavorful loaf of banana bread.
I always have molasses in my house. I love to make this honey molasses bread recipe which is very similar to the bread they serve at steakhouses. My mom is also a huge fan of molasses. She has a spoonful or two with her coffee every morning and touts all of its great health benefits.
Why bake with molasses?
I was really surprised to hear that even though molasses is very sweet that it has a low sugar content. My mom is totally right though as molasses is also loaded with tons of vitamins and minerals. According to Healthy Body Healthy Mind, molasses can also help achieve a balanced mental state and is a natural remedy to anemia since it is very high in iron. How cool is that?
What is the best molasses to bake with?
In baking, unsulfured molasses is best.
What ingredients do I need for this banana bread recipe?
You don’t need anything out of the ordinary for this banana bread with molasses.
- Bananas: You’ll need three bananas for this recipe. The darker the banana, the sweeter your banana bread will turn out.
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Salt: You’ll need just a little salt, only a half of a teaspoon.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is always best in baking.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is best in baking since salt content varies brand to brand.
- All purpose flour
- Molasses: Again, unsulfured molasses is best for baking.
- Pecans or walnuts (optional)
How long do I bake this banana bread for?
You’ll want to bake this banana bread with molasses for about an hour and ten minutes to an hour and fifteen minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
Molasses Banana Bread
- 3 ripe bananas mashed with a fork
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- ⅓ cup walnuts or pecans optional
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Next, spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Next gently fold in the eggs, vanilla, and bananas.
- Add your melted butter (make sure it is cooled before so it does not scramble the eggs when mixed in).
- Add the buttermilk and molasses and mix well with a hand mixer for about three minutes.
- If desired add ½ cup of walnuts or pecans. Gently stir into the mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean from the middle.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this molasses banana bread recipe, you might also like:
- Buttermilk and Honey Banana Bread
- Cast Iron Skillet Banana Bread
- Easy Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Coconut Pudding Banana Bread
- Whole Wheat Apple Cake
- Molasses Honey Bread