These crockpot borracho beans (borracho means drunken) are so easy to make and they’re absolutely delicious. These are a super popular dish here in Texas. Borracho beans are made with pinto beans and have the best flavor when cooked very slowly in your crockpot or slow cooker.
What pairs well with these beans?
This recipe goes great with this yellow cake mix corn bread recipe or they are also a great side dish for your next Taco Tuesday or fajita night. I also love to make these as a side with these freezer friendly beef enchiladas. I just put the beans in my crockpot that morning and then heat up the enchiladas for dinner. It’s such a quick and easy dinner combination.
Beans are such an easy and healthy side dish and of course, they’re super inexpensive. I feel like it’s a win-win when I make these.
What ingredients do I need to make these crockpot borracho beans?
Beer, beans, bacon, oh and of course your trusty slow cooker make for a great combination to create this tasty crockpot borracho beans recipe. These beans are packed with flavor and they’re so easy to throw in your crockpot. To make this recipe, you will need:
- Dried pinto beans (preferably soaked overnight)
- White onion
- Roma tomato
- Fresh cilantro
- Chili powder
- Chicken stock
- Jalapeño pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Should I soak the beans?
I highly recommend soaking your beans overnight (or at the very least a few hours before cooking). If you don’t have time or didn’t remember to soak your beans don’t worry, just rinse your beans well.
Are these beans spicy?
These beans aren’t spicy unless you add the jalapeño. If you want a bit of a kick, add a jalapeño (seeds removed) but this is of course, optional. If you like things a little spicy then by all means go for it!
Crockpot Borracho Beans
- Slow Cooker
- 4 strips bacon uncooked and cut into small pieces
- 1 pound dried pinto beans (preferably soaked overnight)
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 bottle beer (I used Modelo)
- 1 white onion minced
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped with stem removed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 16 ounces chicken stock
- 1 jalapeño seeds removed optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add the bacon, pinto beans, and garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Need more recipes?
If you loved this crockpot borracho beans recipe, then you might also like:
- Crockpot Drunken Black Beans
- Creamy Green Avocado Dip
- Freezer Friendly Beef Enchiladas
- Crockpot Black Eyed Peas
- Crockpot Sausage and Peppers