We had a blast at our local pick your own blackberry farm and came home with a giant bucket of fresh blackberries. I had plenty of boxed yellow cake mix in the pantry so I decided to make a blackberry cake with yellow cake mix.
At first I thought I would make some blackberry jam or a cobbler but I’m so glad I decided on making a cake. Using yellow cake mix is seriously one of my favorite cooking hacks. I also love to use yellow cake mix to make this banana bread and this peach pie coffee cake! It makes cooking so much easier. If you ever find yellow cake mix on sale at your grocery store, be sure to snatch some up. It’s great to keep on hand and there are a lot of amazing things you can make with it.
We had such a fun time at our local blackberry farm. I was worried about my kids getting pricked by the thorns. Luckily, the blackberries were growing upwards on posts and were super easy to pick. We love visiting our local farm which also grows pumpkins in the fall!
I remember going blackberry picking when I was a kid and it was so much fun. There’s something so satisfying about picking your own fresh food.
If you’re like me and ended up with way too many blackberries then this is the recipe for you. You can also use frozen blackberries for this recipe. I would recommend thawing them and removing any excess water before baking or it will change the consistency. This recipe does call for buttermilk but don’t worry if you don’t have any, you can easily make buttermilk. To make one cup of buttermilk, simply add one cup of room temperature milk to two tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice.
Blackberry Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
- Bundt cake pan
- 1 box yellow cake mix disregard the instructions on the box
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 stick butter melted
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and dry your blackberries and then sprinkle them with the powdered sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the yellow cake mix, cinnamon, sugar, melted butter, sour cream, and eggs. Mix with a hand mixer for about three minutes.
- Spray a bundt cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour the cake batter in and then slowly mix in the blackberries with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from close to the center.
- Serve with even more fresh blackberries on the side.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this recipe, you might also like:
- Yellow Cake Mix Corn Bread
- Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Easy Peach Pie Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
- Impossibly Easy Apple Pie
- Buttermilk and Honey Banana Bread