These cake mix peanut butter cookies are chewy with soft middles and are loaded with delicious peanut butter flavor. They are so easy to make with a box of yellow cake mix too!
A box of cake mix is one of my favorite shortcuts to use when baking. I use it for chocolate cake mix banana bread, yellow cake mix banana bread, cake mix oatmeal cookies, and cake mix monster cookies. Now, I use it for these peanut butter cookies as well!
💭 Why you’ll love these cookies
These cake mix peanut butter cookies come out so soft with a melt in your mouth texture. No one will ever know you took a cooking shortcut with a box of cake mix. There is also no chill time needed for the dough.
🍪 Ingredients needed
For these cookies, you will need:
- Yellow cake mix: The base of the cookie dough. I’ve found that at my local grocery store, yellow cake mix comes in either 15 oz or 16.5 oz. You can use either size but if using the larger size you may need to add one additional tablespoon of milk.
- Brown sugar: To give the cookies a little more sweetness.
- Milk: You can also substitute water.
- Peanut butter: I recommend using regular creamy peanut butter and not natural peanut butter. I love natural peanut butter but it doesn’t always have the right consistency for these cookies.
- Eggs: You will need two large eggs for this recipe.
- Apple sauce: I used unsweetened.
🥣 Equipment needed
You will need a large mixing bowl, stand or hand mixer, and a baking sheet. I used parchment paper (be sure to use parchment and not wax paper) but you can also grease your baking sheet well.
🧾 Recipe instructions (step by step guide)
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Next, grease a baking sheet well or line it with parchment paper (not wax paper).
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (cake mix and brown sugar). Stir with a large spoon (image 1).
Next, add in the wet ingredients (eggs, apple sauce, milk, and peanut butter) with a hand or stand mixer until well combined (image 2).
Measure out two tablespoons of dough per cookie and roll into balls (image 3).
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let sit on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring.
- Let these cookies rest on the baking sheet before transferring. This will help the cookies to finish baking.
- Try dusting some granulated sugar on top before baking.
- Use a fork to make crisscross patterns, if desired.
🍽 How to store leftovers
Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Cookies will be good for up to four days after making.
Other cookie recipes:
If you tried these Cake Mix Peanut Butter Cookies or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Cake Mix Peanut Butter Cookies
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Hand or stand mixer
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons milk or substitute water
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Next, grease a baking sheet well or line it with parchment paper (not wax paper).
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (cake mix and brown sugar). Stir with a large spoon.
- Next, add in the wet ingredients (eggs, apple sauce, milk, and peanut butter) with a hand or stand mixer until well combined.
- Measure out two tablespoons of dough per cookie and roll into balls.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let sit on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring.
These were delicious! I am familiar with cake mix cookies but never thought to make peanut butter flavored ones! Perfect texture and very well balanced flavor. So delicious, will definitely make again.