These cast iron skillet chicken drumsticks are so flavorful. This no-fuss recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
As a busy mom, I am all for easy dinner wins. These cast iron skillet chicken drumsticks are not only easy but they are juicy and loaded with flavor. I also love cooking with drumsticks since they are a very economical meat to buy.
This recipe involves searing then placing your cast iron skillet in the oven to finish baking. It is perfect for cast iron skillet fans!
For this recipe, you will need:
- Chicken drumsticks: You’ll need a package of chicken drumsticks which is usually about 1.75 pounds and 5-6 drumsticks.
- Olive oil and butter: To sear the chicken in.
- Italian seasoning blend, dried parsley, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, marjoram (optional), salt, and pepper: To season the chicken with.
You will need a cast iron skillet for this recipe. I used a 10 inch skillet but a 12 inch will also work.
How to make
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix the spices together. Sprinkle the spices over the drumsticks.
Heat the oil and butter up on the stove. Once melted, add the seasoned drumsticks. Sear the drumsticks (about 2-3 minutes per side).
Using an oven mitt, carefully transfer the drumsticks to your oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 400 degrees. A meat thermometer should read 165 degrees and the juices should run clear.
How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Leftovers will be good for 3-4 days after making.
Side dishes ideas
These drumsticks go great with so many different side dishes. Almost anything goes with these. I love serving them with creamed corn (I love this Rudy’s copycat recipe), corn souffle, or mac and cheese (my kids love this copycat McAlister’s mac and cheese.
How to clean your cast iron skillet
Run your still warm skillet under warm water. Use a non-abrasive brush or sponge to remove any excess food debris. You can re-oil your skillet once it is dry.
- Be sure to sear your drumsticks before baking them.
Other cast iron skillet recipes:
Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Cast iron skillet 10 or 12 inch
- 6 chicken drumsticks about 1.75 pounds
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon marjoram optional, but highly recommended
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices together.
- Sprinkle the spices over the drumsticks.
- Heat the oil and butter up on the stove. Once melted, add the seasoned drumsticks.
- Sear the drumsticks (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Using an oven mitt, carefully transfer the drumsticks to your oven. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes at 400 degrees. A meat thermometer should read 165 degrees and the juices should run clear.
Great recipe, thank you.
Made this for dinner last night and this was BY FAR the best chicken I have ever made- thanks to this recipe! I’m not good at cooking chicken on the bone. This came out 100% cooked and still so juicy and sticky on the outside…delicious!
A great way to enjoy chicken!
I love the beautiful char the chicken skin gets on the skillet! Nice flavour balance too