This tater tot breakfast bake is so good. You’ll love this cheesy and filling breakfast recipe.
This cheesy tater tot breakfast bake is one of my favorite recipes to make for breakfast. One of my friends made a similar recipe to this one for another friend’s baby shower. After trying her recipe, I knew that I had to recreate my own! This recipe is loaded with cheesy goodness. It is not only delicious but it is very easy to make.
🧡 Why you’ll love this recipe
This isn’t a super complicated or fussy recipe. This cheesy breakfast casserole uses a lot of ingredients you probably already have on hand. It is great to make on lazy weekends, potlucks, or for a special holiday breakfast.
🧀 Ingredients needed
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Breakfast sausage: I used a mild breakfast sausage.
- Shredded cheddar: I used sharp cheddar but you can also use a mild or medium cheddar. If you have time, try grating your own cheddar. It tastes so much better.
- Eggs: You will need six large eggs for this recipe
- Milk: You can also substitute ¼ cup of half and half.
- Salt, black pepper, paprika: The seasonings for the casserole.
- Frozen tater tots: You’ll need about 15 ounces.
If you like spice and heat, try using a spicy breakfast sausage or try adding some red hot sauce or pickled jalapenos on top.
❔ What kind of dish do I need to make this?
I recommend a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish for this recipe.
🥣 How to make this recipe (step by step guide)
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Spray your 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
In a large skillet, brown and break up your breakfast sausage and drain the fat (image 1). Set it aside to cool.
Next, in a large bowl add the eggs with the milk and seasonings. Beat well (image 2).
Add the tater tots to the casserole dish (image 3). Spread them out as evenly as possible.
Add the breakfast sausage on top of the tots and distribute evenly (image 4).
Pour the egg mixture over (image 5). Add the shredded cheese on top (image 6).
Cover your casserole dish with aluminum foil (image 7). Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking so the cheese will be nice and melted.
👩🍳 Can I prep this recipe the night before?
You can absolutely prep this the night before. I especially like to prep this recipe the night before big holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving.
To prep this recipe, simply follow the instructions down to #8 and then cover with foil and refrigerate until the morning. The morning of pop it into your oven and bake at 350 degrees for 50 to minutes (you’ll want to add a little extra time since it will be baking from cold).
🍇 What should I serve with this breakfast bake?
I think this cheesy breakfast bake is delicious on its own. If you need side dish ideas, fresh fruit (like this dairy free fruit salad or fruit salad with Sprite) or yogurt parfaits go really well as a side to this recipe.
💭 Recipe FAQs
This breakfast casserole will last for 3 to 4 days in your fridge.
Yes, cover it with aluminum foil while baking. This will help it to cook evenly without drying it out.
Other easy breakfast ideas:
If you tried this Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
- 9 x 13 inch casserole dish
- 1 roll breakfast sausage (turkey or pork) about 16 ounces
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar (I used sharp)
- 6 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 15 ounces frozen tater tots
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Spray your 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, brown and break up your breakfast sausage and drain the fat. Set it aside to cool.
- Next, in a large bowl add the eggs with the milk and seasonings. Beat well.
- Add the tater tots to the casserole dish. Spread them out as evenly as possible.
- Add the breakfast sausage on top of the tots and distribute evenly.
- Pour the egg mixture over. Add the shredded cheese on top.
- Cover your casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to45 minutes. Remove the foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking so the cheese will be nice and melted.