This tater tot breakfast bake is so good. You’ll love this cheesy and filling breakfast recipe.
This cheesy tater tot breakfast bake is one of my favorite recipes to make for breakfast. One of my friends made a similar recipe to this one for another friend’s baby shower. After trying her recipe, I knew that I had to recreate my own! This recipe is loaded with cheesy goodness. It is not only delicious but it is very easy to make.
I love to make this recipe for the holidays, guests, baby showers, or really I can use any excuse to make this cheesy tater tot breakfast bake! Since this recipe calls for six eggs, I also really like to make this recipe when I have too many eggs. I’m pretty lucky that my mom has a small farm with laying chickens. When she comes to visit or we visit her, she always gives us a ton of eggs. When we have a lot of eggs, I always make this recipe.
What do I need to make this breakfast casserole?
This isn’t a super complicated or fussy recipe. This cheesy breakfast casserole uses a lot of ingredients you probably already have on hand. To make this recipe, you will need:
- Breakfast sausage
- Shredded cheddar
- Black pepper
- Frozen tater tots
What kind of dish do I need to make this?
I recommend a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish for this recipe.
Can I prep this recipe the night before?
You can absolutely prep this the night before. I especially like to prep this recipe the night before big holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving. To prep this recipe, simply follow the instructions down to #8 and then cover with foil and refrigerate until the morning. The morning of pop it into your oven and bake at 350 degrees for 50 to minutes (you’ll want to add a little extra time since it will be baking from cold).
What should I serve with this breakfast bake?
I think this cheesy breakfast bake is delicious on its own. If you need side dish ideas, fresh fruit or yogurt parfaits go really well as a side to this recipe.
What if I want a spicy casserole?
If you like spice and heat, try using a spicy breakfast sausage and then adding some red hot sauce on top.
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
- 9 x 13 inch casserole dish
- 1 roll breakfast sausage (turkey or pork) about 16 ounces
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar (I used sharp)
- 6 large eggs beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 15 ounces frozen tater tots
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray your 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, brown and break up your breakfast sausage and drain the fat. Set it aside to cool.
- Add the tater tots to the casserole dish. Spread them out as evenly as possible.
- Add the breakfast sausage on top of the tots and distribute evenly.
- Next, in a large bowl add the eggs with the milk and then mix well. Pour over the tater tots and breakfast casserole.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika over the mixture.
- Add the shredded cheese on top.
- Cover your casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the foil the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking so the cheese will be nice and melty.
If you liked this breakfast casserole recipe, you might also enjoy:
- Easy Canned Biscuit Donuts
- Strawberries and Cream Baked Oatmeal
- Savory Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Yellow Cake Mix Banana Bread
- Copycat SuperSonic Breakfast Burrito