If you love the hot and delicious chili from Tim Horton’s then you’ll love this copycat recipe. This copycat Tim Horton’s chili is so easy to make at home.
When we lived in Canada there were Tim Horton locations every where! My friend from Ohio used to work at one while she was in college so I had heard of Tim’s before but I had never been to one. I know there are a few in the US but when we lived in Canada, I lived in walking distance of one which was really cool.
Besides their cookies and lemon loaf, I really liked their chili. I was pregnant with my second child and really just plain exhausted. I didn’t cook much in those days since we had moved internationally and I had a 10 month old. I would load my son up in his stroller and grab lunch or goodies from Tim Horton’s more than I should have. Now that we are back in Texas, we don’t have a Tim’s so of course I had to make a copycat recipe for their chili.
🥘 Ingredients needed
For this recipe, you will need:
- Ground beef: I used a lean variety.
- White onion: You’ll need one small white onion.
- Celery: You’ll need just one stalk of celery.
- Green bell pepper: Green peppers just like the original.
- Canned kidney beans: You’ll need one can of kidney beans (540 ml or about 16 to 18 ounces depending on the brand)
- Canned mushrooms: Or you can also use fresh if that’s what you have on hand. You’ll need one small can of mushrooms.
- Tomato paste: You’ll need two tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Canned diced tomatoes: Don’t discard the juice, you will want to add it to the chili too.
- Chili powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika: To season the chili.
- Salt and pepper: I recommend doing salt and pepper to taste.
- White wine vinegar: Or white vinegar also works. This will mellow out the chili.
- Water: You will also need about one cup of water.
🥣 How to make
Begin by browning your ground beef and draining the fat in a large skillet. Next, in a large pot add one tablespoon of cooking oil. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Saute over medium heat until the onions become translucent.
Add in the ground beef, tomato paste, and canned tomatoes with their juices. Drain and then rinse your kidney beans and drain your canned mushrooms. Add them to the mix.
Add the spices, sugar, and white wine vinegar. Stir well. Add about one cup of water.
Cook on low heat and let simmer for at least two hours.
🍲 Can you make this in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can absolutely make this recipe in a slow cooker. Brown and drain the fat from your ground beef. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours in your slow cooker.
🥡 How to store leftovers
Store any leftovers in your refrigerator in an airtight container. Leftovers will be good for up to four days after making.
If desired, you can also freeze leftovers. I prefer to freeze them in a large freezer safe plastic storage bag (such as Ziplock). Remove any excess air before freezing.
👩🏻🍳 Tips for this recipe
- Let your chili simmer for awhile. The longer it simmers the better flavor it will have.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tim Horton’s chili is loaded with lean ground beef and plenty of fiber from the beans. It is a hearty and healthy recipe.
They used shredded cheddar cheese.
Other recipes that you might like:
If you tried this Copycat Tim Horton’s Chili or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Copycat Tim Horton’s Chili
- Large cooking pot
- 1 pound ground beef about 450 grams
- 1 can kidney beans about 540 ml or about 16 to 18 ounces depending on the brand
- 1 rib celery (one single piece from a bunch) ends removed, finely diced
- 1 small white onion finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 can mushrooms (small can) drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice (540 ml or 16 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar or substitute white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by browning your ground beef and draining the fat in a large skillet.
- Next, in a large pot add one tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Saute over medium heat until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the ground beef, tomato paste, and canned tomatoes with their juices. Drain and then rinse your kidney beans and drain your canned mushrooms. Add them to the mix.
- Add the spices, sugar, and white wine vinegar. Stir well. Add about one cup of water.
- Cook on low heat and let simmer for at least two hours.
Don’t forget to share this recipe or save it for later with Pinterest!