This Kid Friendly Instant Pot Chili is the perfect dinner for a busy weeknight. It is a mild chili that kids will love!
Life is pretty busy with two kids and Instant Pot recipes always seem to save the day when it comes to dinner. This chili tastes like you simmered it all day when in reality it takes about 40 minutes with just a few minutes of hands on time.
💭 Why you’ll love this recipe
It is so easy to make chili in your Instant Pot and this is a great recipe if you’re short on time.
🥫 Ingredients needed
For this chili, you will need:
- Ground beef: I recommend using a lean ground beef.
- Yellow onion
- Tomato sauce
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Kidney beans and black beans: Or you can swap them out for garbanzo, pinto, or white beans.
- White vinegar: This helps the chili have smooth flavor.
- Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper: The seasonings for the chili.
- Leave the onions out (if your kids don’t like them).
- Swap the beans out for your favorite (garbanzo, pinto, white beans, etc).
- You can swap the ground beef out for ground bison, if desired.
🔪 Equipment needed
You will need a 6 quart or larger Instant Pot (pressure cooker).
⏲️ Recipe instructions (step by step guide)
Begin by spraying your Instant Pot with non-stick spray and adding your ground beef and finely diced onion.
Turn your Instant Pot on sauté mode and use a spatula to brown your ground beef and onion (image 1). Drain any excess fat.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well (image 2). Cover your Instant Pot with the lid and lock it into place.
Next, seal the steam release handle then select the high pressure setting. Set the timer for 20 minutes. Once timer is complete, carefully release the pressure (unseal the steam release handle). Unlock and remove the lid, being careful of any remaining steam.
🥗 What to serve with this recipe
- My kids aren’t a fan of chili on its own but they are fans of it loaded with shredded cheese and corn chips.
🥡 How to store leftovers
Store any leftover chili in an airtight container inside of your refrigerator. This chili will be good for up to four days after making.
You can freeze any leftovers as well. It will be good in your freezer for up to three months.
📋 Recipe FAQs
Shredded cheese, sour cream, corn chips, water or oyster crackers, diced onion, pickled jalapenos are all good things to put on chili.
Other Instant Pot recipes:
If you tried this Kid Friendly Instant Pot Chili or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Kid Friendly Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot (pressure cooker)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 can tomato sauce about 8 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes about 10 ounces
- ¾ cup water
- 1 can kidney beans about 14 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans about 14 ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Begin by spraying your Instant Pot with non-stick spray and adding your ground beef and finely diced onion.1 pound lean ground beef, 1 small yellow onion
- Turn your Instant Pot on sauté mode and use a spatula to brown your ground beef and onion. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover your Instant Pot with the lid and lock it into place.1 can tomato sauce, ¾ cup water, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Next, seal the steam release handle then select the high pressure setting. Set the timer for 20 minutes. Once timer is complete, carefully release the pressure (unseal the steam release handle). Unlock and remove the lid, being careful of any remaining steam.