These crockpot Hawaiian chicken sandwiches are loaded with flavor. They’re super easy to make, let your crockpot do all the work with this recipe!
These crockpot Hawaiian chicken sandwiches are such a fun and tasty way to get dinner on the table. They are a little sweet and a little savory. The pineapple preserves give the chicken such a bold kick of flavor!
This recipe is super easy to make. It is a simple toss and go crockpot recipe. I like to shred ours and then serve on toasted Hawaiian buns with lots of creamy coconut slaw.
You can also serve this chicken without shredding it. It goes great over rice with a side of steamed vegetables.
Ingredients for crockpot Hawaiian chicken
This recipe is easy peasy and requires just a few ingredients.
For the shredded chicken
- Boneless and skinless chicken thighs: You can also use chicken breast, if desired but I find chicken thighs have more flavor and they stay juicier after cooking in the crockpot.
- Chili powder: I used just ½ a teaspoon but you could even go up to a full teaspoon if you want more spice.
- Garlic: You’ll need two tablespoons of minced garlic
- Pineapple preserves: These give the chicken a nice sweet and tropical taste.
- Soy sauce: I recommend using the low sodium soy sauce since the regular can be quite salty.
- Brown sugar: You’ll need only two tablespoons since the pineapple preserves are also sweet.
- Water: You’ll need just a little bit of water for this recipe. I recommend using a little more if you’ll be cooking longer than 6 hours.
For the creamy coconut slaw (optional)
- Bagged coleslaw mix: You’ll want to grab a bag that’s about 10 ounces.
- Mayonnaise: Use your favorite brand.
- Sweetened coconut flakes: The sweetness goes really well in the slaw mix.
- White wine vinegar: This will give the slaw a little zip.
How to make crockpot Hawaiian chicken
This recipe is so simple. Spray your crockpot with non-stick spray. Add your chicken thighs and then add all of your ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Shred your chicken by using two forks and the serve over toasted buns and with creamy coconut slaw.
How to make the creamy coconut slaw (optional)
To make the creamy coconut slaw, just add the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, coconut flakes, and white wine vinegar together.
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) may also substitute chicken breast
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup pineapple preserves
- ¼ cup soy sauce I recommend using the low sodium version since soy sauce can be quite salty
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ⅓ cup water see note
Creamy Coconut Slaw (optional)
- 1 bag coleslaw mix about 10 ounces
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
For the chicken
- Spray your crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Add the chicken to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred with two forks once done and then serve on toasted buns with slaw.
For the slaw (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
If you liked this crockpot recipe, you might also enjoy:
Don’t forget to save this recipe for later with Pinterest!