These crockpot Hawaiian chicken sandwiches are loaded with flavor. They’re super easy to make, let your crockpot do all the work with this recipe!
These crockpot Hawaiian chicken sandwiches are such a fun and tasty way to get dinner on the table. They are a little sweet and a little savory. The pineapple preserves give the chicken such a bold kick of flavor!
This recipe is super easy to make. It is a simple toss and go crockpot recipe. I like to shred ours and then serve on toasted Hawaiian buns with lots of creamy coconut slaw. You can also serve this chicken without shredding it. It goes great over rice with a side of steamed vegetables.
💭 Why you’ll love this recipe
This recipe is an easy toss and go crockpot recipe. It is family friendly and a great recipe to add to your meal rotation.
🍗 Ingredients needed
This recipe is easy peasy and requires just a few ingredients.
For the shredded chicken
- Boneless and skinless chicken thighs: You can also use chicken breast, if desired but I find chicken thighs have more flavor and they stay juicier after cooking in the crockpot.
- Chili powder: I used just ½ a teaspoon but you could even go up to a full teaspoon if you want more spice.
- Garlic: You’ll need two tablespoons of minced garlic
- Pineapple preserves: These give the chicken a nice sweet and tropical taste.
- Soy sauce: I recommend using the low sodium soy sauce since the regular can be quite salty.
- Brown sugar: You’ll need only two tablespoons since the pineapple preserves are also sweet.
- Water: You’ll need just a little bit of water for this recipe. I recommend using a little more if you’ll be cooking longer than 6 hours.
For the creamy coconut slaw (optional)
- Bagged coleslaw mix: You’ll want to grab a bag that’s about 10 ounces.
- Mayonnaise: Use your favorite brand.
- Sweetened coconut flakes: The sweetness goes really well in the slaw mix.
- White wine vinegar: This will give the slaw a little zip.
🥣 Recipe instructions (step by step guide)
This recipe is so simple. Spray your crockpot with non-stick spray. Add your chicken thighs and then add all of your ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Shred your chicken by using two forks and the serve over toasted buns and with creamy coconut slaw.
🥥 How to make the creamy coconut slaw (optional)
To make the creamy coconut slaw, just add the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, coconut flakes, and white wine vinegar together.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Chips, roasted zucchini, pasta salad, or salad are all great options.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in your fridge. They will be good for up to four days after making.
Other easy crockpot chicken recipes:
If you tried these Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) may also substitute chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup pineapple preserves
- ¼ cup soy sauce I recommend using the low sodium version since soy sauce can be quite salty
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅓ cup water see note
Creamy Coconut Slaw (optional)
- 1 bag coleslaw mix about 10 ounces
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the chicken
- Spray your crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Add the chicken to the crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred with two forks once done and then serve on toasted buns with slaw.
For the slaw (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
This was really good so tender super flavourful. I will make it again, it was really good!
Looks amazing! Can’t wait to try!
This is making me super hungry!
This was the perfect crockpot recipe to choose as my first. These hawaiian chicken sandwiches were so delicious!
The pineapple preserves and brown sugar sound so delicious in this! Can’t wait to make these this summer!
Love adding pineapple to savoury dishes! Yum!
Another great crock pot recipe, made for dinner tonight with salad and fries and enough left over for lunch tomorrow.
We loved these! They’re perfect for summer and the slow cooker makes it so easy.
Can’t wait to try this crockpot hawaiian chicken sandwich, looks so good!
This is a perfect weeknight dinner! Easy and flavorful!
I am totally trying this recipe!
This sounds delicious!! Pineapple is one of my favorites!!! Can’t wait to try this!!!