This fishes and loaves activity with bread in a bag is so much fun. We colored a super fun (and totally free) fish coloring sheet and made bread in a bag to learn more about the miracle of Jesus feeding the crowd of 5,000!
This activity is great for doing at home, with a small group, in a Sunday school classroom, or for a VBS activity.
Affiliate disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service.
About the Fishes and Loaves Activity
This fishes and loaves activity is geared towards preschoolers and young children. The great thing about this activity is that they will for sure remember the fishes and loaves story after doing the bread and the bag activity.
Don’t have any yeast on hand? No problem! Another fun way to do this fishes and loaves activity would be to make Crockpot Irish Soda Bread which doesn’t require any yeast. This would also be a great option for the lesson if you’re using it for a Sunday school class and do not have access to a kitchen.
We ate our bread with butter and strawberry jam. The fresh bread was so good and it was such a nice treat for everyone.
Fishes and Loaves Lesson
We read about the fishes and loaves in our Beginner’s Bible. We love this Beginner’s Bible and it is perfect for preschoolers who are not yet reading. I also really love the Bedtime Bible Story Book for older kids.
You can also use whatever Bible story book you have or just retell the story to your children if you find that easier.
Bread in a Bag
After reading the fishes and loaves lesson to the children you can use the instructions below to make bread in a bag to represent the loaves portion of the feeding of the multitude. While the bread is rising, let the children do the coloring activity. The bread goes well with butter and jam.
Bread in a Bag
- Small loaf pan
- Large ziplock storage bag
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- non-stick spray
- Set your large ziplock bag in a mixing bowl.
- Add the ingredients to the bag and then seal the bag.
- Ensure that there is no air in the bag and while the bag is closed pass to each child to allow them to mix the inbredients.
- Let the children mix the dough in the bag for about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Spray a mixing bowl with non-stick spray.
- Scoop the dough in the mixing bowl. Knead generously again by hand and then cover with a tea towel.
- Let rise in a cool and dark place for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a small greased loaf pan for about 25 to 30 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center) at 350 degrees.
Fish Coloring Sheet
To download and print this free printable simply click the black download button below. It will download as a PDF file for you to print. This is totally free for personal use (classroom use included). No commercial reproduction is allowed.
If you liked this fishes and loaves activity, you might also like:
- Noah’s Ark Craft for Toddlers
- Daniel and the Lions Den Craft & Lesson for Preschoolers
- Free ABC Dot Marker Printable
- Encouraging Five Day Devotional for Moms