This fishes and loaves activity with bread in a bag is so much fun. We colored a super fun (and totally free) fish coloring sheet and made bread in a bag to learn more about the miracle of Jesus feeding the crowd of 5,000!
Affiliate disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service.
This fishes and loaves activity is great for doing at home, with a small group, in a Sunday school classroom, or for a VBS activity. Bread in a bag is a unique way to make the Bible story more memorable and kids will have a blast making it.
🐠 About the Fishes and Loaves Activity
This fishes and loaves activity is geared towards preschoolers and young children. The great thing about this activity is that they will for sure remember the fishes and loaves story after doing the bread and the bag activity and the fun fish coloring page.
We ate our bread with butter and strawberry jam. The fresh bread was so good and it was such a nice treat for everyone. It wasn’t a messy activity since all of the ingredients stayed in the bag and we kneaded it in the bag.
🐟 Fishes and Loaves Lesson
We read about the fishes and loaves in our Beginner’s Bible. We love this Beginner’s Bible and it is perfect for preschoolers who are not yet reading. I also really love the Bedtime Bible Story Book for older kids.
You can also use whatever Bible story book you have or just retell the story to your children if you find that easier.
🥖 Bread in a Bag (The Loaves)
After reading the fishes and loaves lesson to the children you can use the instructions below to make bread in a bag to represent the loaves portion of the feeding of the multitude. While the bread is rising, let the children do the coloring activity. The bread goes well with butter and jam.
- Use a high quality plastic storage bag. Some brands will leak. I prefer using Ziplock.
- Go over the Bible story or do the coloring page while you wait on the bread to rise or bake!
- Have all the ingredients ready and set up for the kids to toss in.
Bread in a Bag
- Small loaf pan 8 x 4 inch or smaller
- Large ziplock storage bag
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- non-stick spray
- Set your large ziplock bag in a mixing bowl.
- Add the ingredients to the bag and then seal the bag.
- Ensure that there is no air in the bag and while the bag is closed pass to each child to allow them to mix the inbredients.
- Let the children mix the dough in the bag for about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Spray a mixing bowl with non-stick spray.
- Scoop the dough in the mixing bowl. Knead generously again by hand and then cover with a tea towel.
- Let rise in a cool and dark place for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a small greased loaf pan for about 25 to 30 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center) at 350 degrees.
🖨️ Fish Coloring Sheet
To download and print this free printable simply click the black download button below. It will download as a PDF file for you to print. This is totally free for personal use (classroom use included). No commercial reproduction is allowed.
Other Bible based preschool activities:
If you tried this Fishes and Loaves Activity or any other activity or recipe on my site, please let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!